A possible do'er upper.

wheels

Are there any 40 year survivours? let alone 100+ as in wood.

YES....i have one.

the hull is 3/8 ths of an inch thick yes you have read right.

It has spent at least half of its life neglected....hanging on a swing mooring by various owners. It has spent three years (the last three years neglected by me)

Anymore questions ???

AND it is a 30 footer so forget the heavy crap..it weighs 3.5 tonnes about the same as a plastic and lighter than most timber boats of the same size.

If you want to know the real problems with ferro ask wheels or I...see we have been "ferro bashed" for so long that we are more than happy to talk about the downfalls as well as the virtues.

For limited maintanence over a long time only plastic has a longer (and that is still a mute point) better track record.

Dont forget I also own a steel boat.

And just so you know the ferro debate comes up all the time, so much so that ferro boat owners dont reply anymore. Wheels is far more of a gentleman than me, or perhaps it was my second glass of red, or perhaps that someone fell off a boat yesterday and didnt get back up....either way....Grrr

I can show you the ferro boat sydrome....only in steel. The new ferro boat problem. I am surrounded by them. I have no doubt that the same thing will be said of steel boats in a few years time.

Cheap build , by inexpirenced people...result ??? Add neglect and steel is WAY worse. At least ferro wont sink at its moorings because the annodes have been depleted. THAT is a fact.

Finaly to finish this (my glass is empty)...who do you know that can and does build a large glass boat as a novice ?

...and that is the point

GGrrr

dont tell me you have to have a 50 k wage and a 150k loan to go safely and comfortably sailing.

I have met a heap of very long term cruisers. They cruise becuase they swopped dollars for time. You cant cruise if you have to pay off a bank loan....

The scary part is when you say "if it was built with the correct sand", shouldn't alarm bells be ringing right there???

The boats that gave ferro a bad name came from the early 70's and those hulls pretty much do not exist. The few that do tend to sit in some paddock somewhere and the faults stick out like a sore thumb now. I know of steel boats that were built poorly and you can't tell, which is the scary thing. I knew one steel boat that you could see light through the bird crap welds. The problem was solved by filling the welds with fairing. I have no idea if it is still afloat, but I wouldn't want to go to sea in that. I know two boats, both looked after by maticulous owners, that have had rust go right through and not discovered till antifoul time when the paint was removed exposing no steel left. Scary thought. So you could say the same about steel, yet many love the idea. Some love timber, yet the weekest of all boats. Give me anything rather than a Bendy Boat for long term crusiing. Because a Bendy boat is probably going to be a write off in around 20yrs due to structural issues.

As for speed, well we made Havelock to Napier in 47.5hrs in not the most idle conditions. Ferro's have competed in Sydney to Hobart.

And by the way, in the UK, FC hulls hold the lowest claim rate than any other humm material on the Insurance statistics and that is after recalculated to give a balanced scale of numbers. Why companies will not consider insuring them with that result just dumbfounds me. The problem is a relic of the past that they simply will not look at. And it is not the Insurance companies themselves, they all seem very interested. It is the underwriter, which is overseas based and they have a simple blanket statement of no insurance of FC. The same underwriter that is about to double home insurance by the way.

Archived