Racing an 18ft plywood box

Yep, not pretty, but as you say a plywood box with a 2nd hand hobie 18 rig, great knots/dollar.

(wonder if I could pick up an old tornado rig cheap).

Whenever I think down that track I always figure that the platform is actually the easiest cheapest bit, the rig and hardware are tough for a home builder, so a Tornado that has been piled onto the rocks but the rig intact is what I'm looking for.

You thinking of building a tri-nado, loads of old Ts and Hurricane 5.9s lying around here, never saw that many in NZ though. What about an old A class as the donor boat, cheap ones of those appear on trademe all the time.

I investigated a couple of Typhoons, http://www.trinardo.com/links. But really want to hang on until a bigger tri at a reasonable price comes up. Isn't Derek Kelsall in NZ now? Maybe an update of the Typhoon could be in order. Either that or find an old design to use as the main hull - An international canoe would do the trick, or what about an old 18ft skiff as the centre hull? It would be like a giant Weta. Hmm, that's given me some ideas.

Alternatively, you could think a little bigger and use a Colson 9m for the centre hull... :thumbup:

Bloody good effort. Maximum fun for minimum dollars! :thumbup: Knots per buck spent will be an excellent ratio to calculate

I'll get back to you on that, should be on the water in about 3 weeks or so, just got to find a mooring - not so easy mid-summer on the Isle of Wight!

Have you tried the top end of the River Medina (Cowes). It gets shallow in the upper reaches and it's much quieter up there, always some gaps for a shallow draft hull.

Archived