Rigging

DrWatson

So, now it's time for me to make some shrouds and stays for my little lake rocket.

Questions for the wise:

1. What are the little copper/bronze/alloy doohickies that clamp/seize the rigging wire/cable together at the end to make the loops called?

2. What metal are they made of?

3. What oversized kind of bolt-cutter/crimpy thingy do I buy so I can make my own stays/lifelines/trapeze now and into the future?

I found these:

http://www.hasler.ch/?srv=katalog&pg=de ... 88-89.9999

SOrry the page is in German, but should give you an idea of what I mean. These are aluminium but do I need a different, harder metal for rigging?

Cheers

R

Copper talurits are pretty forgiving and you can get away with taking a cheap pair of bolt cutters and then with a dremel, grinding a notch into the jaws. I have had to do that once and it worked really well. The proper crimper is just a bolt cutter with the crimping jaws, but 10x the price.

Or....you could get a perfect measurement and send KM the specs and he could have the Lads....Lad....Me...crimp up some wire lengths for you and we could post them to you. It would be cheaper than buying a crimping tool for a one off use.

Now where can I get some of this kind of stuff in Swiss land? That's the goal now...

http://rigging.net.nz/index.php

They are NZ made and Tim does export most of them, go hard you great little kiwi niche manufacturer. I'll ask him on Monday if he sends any to anywhere close to SwissLand, I suspect he does.

Knot as chang ching as you'd expect I think even if I can't quite remember what the dollar value is.

On SS wire use copper ferrules, don't use alloy ones.

And be aware there are many 'crimping' tools out there and they all aren't designed to crimp the same thing/s. By that I mean the electrical industry has lots but very few would be good for use with yacht rigging gear. Plumbers have a few to, again no good for what you want them to do. To get the best strongest job you need to match the pliers to the ferrules well.

Well, We're going for wire because it is probably cheaper and if we sail in class then we'll probably have to have the same rigging as the other boats.

Thanks for your help on this, the Yacht shop here in Zürich (unbelievable that it has taken 2y to find this shop) have the Talurites and the rigging wire. After working out how to ask for what I needed in German, I found out the shop will even lend the crimper (against a hefty deposit) for those who wish to make their own rigging on Sundays.

So It looks like we're all sorted here.

Thanks.

Archived