Cat sailing in Wellington

benny14

So I went to the big smoke on the weekend and it was on a Tornado at RAYC, now I see what all the fuss is about, I won't go back...

I was tossing up buying a Tornado but think it's a big step and want a stepping stone, so most likely going to be a Hobie 16... BUT...

Where can I race it down here? I don't often (ever...) see any other Cat's other than PT's out sailing in Wellington, are there any? Where would they race? What club would be the best to talk to? Is there any other interest around? Could we start a Cat sailing scene down here? I am keen to start with a Hobie and graduate pretty quickly to a Tornado or F18... Fast and fun are the only criteria...

We have 2 Hobies sailing out of Evans Bay in Wellington. Keen for more, there are also one if not a couple of boats for sail in Wellington.

So, Benny,

Did you get out on a cat?

Are there any tornado's in Wellington, A classes? Or are the Hobies etc at Evans bay and the Paper Tigers at Muratai about it?

Knowing bugger all about multi's- I wonder if the conditions here are somehow not suitable for 'dinghy' size cats? Love the idea of a 20' cat to blast around on, or go for a lazy sunday drive with the kids and lie in the sun... theres a couple of tornados for sale (and a weta for that matter). Although I figure with a boat like that theres nothing to race against here...

Yeah, I realise a tornado is not exactly a 'lazy sunday drive ' kind of beast - but I'm thinking of those 5 knot days (both of them) when the harbour is like a millpond and the sky is blue...

Otherwise there's mono sports boats, but they lean over and there's nowhere to lie in the sun...

Small cat sailing in Welly is basically:

- A couple of Hobies and good PT fleet at Evans Bay (around 20 when everyone turns up)

- currently 8 active PTs at Muritai, plus a couple of Wetas (although a hull count would probably disqualify them as cats)

Wellington is definately the PT capital with the numbers above and our fair share of NZ's top skippers. In terms of good competitive cat fleet sailing (50+ at Nationals) it's the way to go.

I've pretty much got a Hobie sorted so going to join the fleet at EBYC in the new year hopefully. Had the same thoughts about the Tornado R99, would've loved one, and the one I sailed on in Akl is for sale, but there is nothing to race against and think they would be a handful on a "normal" Wellington day. So will go for the Hobie for now and see what other interest is around, would be great to get a few more out (I think there are currently 2 that race regularly at EBYC) and then see if we can get a fleet to graduate to bigger cats from there... A work in progress at the moment, first things is to get the Hobie sorted and get out on the water... You'd be welcome to come for a skid once I've got it up and running if you're keen...

I had got to the same point re Hobies -except I dont have one. and yup I would be very keen to go out for a hoon, I can give you a hand with sorting it if that would help.

Archived