Regulations and licensing etc for Europe/US

DrWatson

This is a pretty large and open question I'll admit, but I really don't have a comprehensive, or even very rudimentary idea of what regulations and licensing qualifications etc are required for cruising in these areas, as either a domestic vessel, or as a NZ vessel arriving.

As a NZ vessel I guess the captain at least must have an ocean yacht master cert and the yacht Cat 1 to leave NZ. But what else?

It's all a bit nebulous esp as there are so many different situations.

for example 1. If arriving in European waters on a US registered boat is the NZ ocean yachtmaster qualification valid? Is that the same as the ocean yachtmaster offered by the RYA (UK)? And what about leaving the US? Does anyone know the situation there?

Example 2, For how long do you get to stay in another country (say the EU) cruising before you have to import your boat there? And does it differ if you are a European citizen with a US or NZ boat? (I'm duel EU/NZ)

Moreover, coming the other way into NZ (or Aus) if you have a Euro or US boat, but NZ citizenship, do they get titchy about the fact that they can't make you leave? And then want you to import the boat immediately? Or are you allowed to keep the boat in NZ for a certain amount of time without paying import duties and taxes.

And a last point, in this the first of my posts on wanting to become a long term live aboard cruiser. What are the deals for clearing customs when you have all your worldly possessions with you - like a wine collection etc - if you don't intend to stay or sell anything?

I know there are a lot of rather open ended questions above, but I'm trying to get my head around all the potential legislative traps before jumping in, and in that way avoid severe disappointment, or financial disaster, further down the track.

This is a pretty large and open question I'll admit, but I really don't have a comprehensive, or even very rudimentary idea of what regulations and licensing qualifications etc are required for cruising in these areas, as either a domestic vessel, or as a NZ vessel arriving.

As a NZ vessel I guess the captain at least must have an ocean yacht master cert and the yacht Cat 1 to leave NZ. But what else?

Nobody has ever asked my other certs than radio operator license. That is all you really need. Marinas want to see you insurance papers (third party is normally required).

It's all a bit nebulous esp as there are so many different situations.

for example 1. If arriving in European waters on a US registered boat is the NZ ocean yachtmaster qualification valid? Is that the same as the ocean yachtmaster offered by the RYA (UK)? And what about leaving the US? Does anyone know the situation there?

You don't need any certs for leaving or entering Europe or US. And it does not matter where the boat is registered as long as you can proof that it is lawfully yours.

Example 2, For how long do you get to stay in another country (say the EU) cruising before you have to import your boat there? And does it differ if you are a European citizen with a US or NZ boat? (I'm duel EU/NZ)

Moreover, coming the other way into NZ (or Aus) if you have a Euro or US boat, but NZ citizenship, do they get titchy about the fact that they can't make you leave? And then want you to import the boat immediately? Or are you allowed to keep the boat in NZ for a certain amount of time without paying import duties and taxes.

Normally you can stay 6 months without paying taxes in another country. But that varies. Some places you can stay longer and some places only a month. It also varies what passport you have and where the boat is registered. For example european passport is allowed to stay in French Polynesia for 2 years and the US passports only 3 months. I find www.noonsite.com to be rather good source of information.

And a last point, in this the first of my posts on wanting to become a long term live aboard cruiser. What are the deals for clearing customs when you have all your worldly possessions with you - like a wine collection etc - if you don't intend to stay or sell anything?

I know there are a lot of rather open ended questions above, but I'm trying to get my head around all the potential legislative traps before jumping in, and in that way avoid severe disappointment, or financial disaster, further down the track.

A lot of alcohol, firearms, farmaceutical medicals and drugs are a problem when clearing customs. Some places take your guns for time of visit, some places only seal them in the boat. A rather large quantity of alcohol is normally tolerated or they seal some of it in a locker and you are not allowed to consume (or sell) it during the visit. Some places make you pay taxes if they think it is too much alcohol. I have a friend who had a substantial load of alcohol and he has now paid taxes of it to French Polynesia and then Fiji. In NZ they only sealed the lockers. The advantage in many places is that as a foreign vessel you are allowed to buy duty free acohol. If you have some pills with you, always have the prescriptions with them. Drugs is of course not allowed anywhere and that is what they are looking for in many places. Some coutries are also taking your fresh food and certain meat produces etc. That has been a problem mainly in Samoa, Tonga, Fiji and NZ for us. During the mad cow disease years it was not allowed to have meat from another country in Europe.

I had a waterproof pouch with all the documents to hand.

Radio Operator License, Insurance, Tax invoice for the boat, ICC (International Certificate of Competence - RYA) & Passports.

Insurance doc had to be in multiple languages.

You do get checked too:

1. Boarded in French waters and searched/documents inspected.

2. Called up at sea by a customs patrol boat and asked for my port of destination and then inspected at that port.

3. Document check by Italians off Capri – Jeez they were being really nasty to the locals and fining them for being too close to shore! We are talking fining day boats for being anchored too close to the cliff face off Capri when the drop off was 40+ mtrs only 20mtrs from the shore!

4. Document check off Southern France – at sea via dropping everything into fishing net on a long pole.

5. Each marina wanted to see your documents.

No issues with any of them and they were all friendly and even complimentary on how everything was to hand. All spoke very good English.

I asked a super yacht skipper why they flew under a British Registered flag (German owner) and he said that they don’t get stopped as often as they did before when they had the German ensign up.

Hola

We are a NZ Yacht presently in Spain, preparing to cross the Atlantic this year.

We have been in the Med for 18 months, left BOI in 2009, came via Asia, Indian Ocean, Red Sea, Turkey etc.

No written quals are needed to leave NZ although for own benefit Ocean yacht masters may be a good idea. You do have to satisfy the Cat 1 inspector with details or your sailing abilities and experiences, also of course your boat has to pass Cat 1.

We have not been asked for any qualifications here in the Med ,only need ships papers(ownership proof), clearance papers from previous country and passports. NZ registered vessels can stay in the Med for 18 months you can restart for another 18mths by going to Tunisia, Turkey, Croatia or Morocco and others. NZers can stay 90 days in each Schengan country, which is basically most of the EU countries around the Med, our aussie cousins can only stay 90 days total over all the Schengan countries. NZ passport is a good passport to have there are many places we don’t have to pay visa fees whereas Aussies and Americans etc do pay. Once cleared into the EU you don’t have to visit authorities in the other EU countries you visit by boat until you leave the EU. If you are non EU person but own a EU boat you can only stay 1 month in the Med, we have met several NZers and Aussies who have bought boats here in the Med and have re-registered them back home, a good idea if you don’t want to sail here but want the Med experience.

BUT Greece is the exception, when leaving Greece it pays to clear out although they are very reluctant to stamp passports , we made sure we got a copy of our cancelled Greek transit log. Even tho we didn’t intend to return to Greece it was best to be sure. Heard recently of a cruising couple who got fined when they cleared back into Greece this year because they had no stamp out of Greece from last year even tho they had pleaded for one and had a Turkish stamp to prove they had not overstayed in Greece. With the Greek economy as it is perhaps Immigration don’t seem to have money to refill the stamp ink!!

In Greece you have to have a Transit log which you should get stamped occasionally but you don’t need to get it done at every place you stop just every couple of weeks. Turkey also has a transit log which needs to be produced at marinas and if officials come on board which never happened to us.

Turkey is a good place to winter over, it is out of the EU, reasonably priced marinas, usually have winter rates, your boat can stay 5 years, 90 day visas( free for NZ) easy to renew by a day or two at the least out of the country.

This year we have come from Turkey, through Greece, to Malta, Sicily, Sardinia, Corsica, northern Italy and now the Balearics and going on to the Spanish mainland heading for Gibraltar. We have hardly stayed in a marina, there have been plenty of places to anchor so far. Tying up on the sea wall in Greece is often free or very small payment especially if you don’t want power or water. Malta and Bonifacio harbour on Corsica have been the only places where tying up was a must. Malta a marina and in Bonifacio a reasonably priced mooring.

When out cruising the best source of information is other cruisers over sundowners or on the various SSB cruiser nets. There is a huge amount of info out there on cruiser blogs and websites all for free, just takes time. www.sailblogs.com is a good place to start.

SY Tuatara

New Zealand

Look who we saw in the Med today at Formentera in the Balerics.

We have some rich neighbours, dont think we will be invited for sundowners!!

Also another well known Kiwi export sailed by as we were about to anchor.

Fisher and Pykel sailing through the anchorage at Formentera Is in the med.JPG

P1020016.JPG

Fisher and Pykel sailing by.JPG

Archived