Samyung N430 Chartplotter

Spec sheet looks good. Can only guess the N version is for navigating, F for Fishing and NF has both features.

It all depends upon your intended use and budget.

However a small screen on a dark wet rainy night is hard to read because the rain drops are so BIG relative to a small screen.

We have a 5 inch screen Seiwa Seahorse.

There are several other important factors.

For a small unit, IMHO one with an INTERNAL aerial is better, less wiring (only needs 12V) for basic / medium usage. Less to go wrong, especially if mounted on pushpit and you have a collision whilst racing.

Some software is better than others. It depends what features are important to your needs.

Personally I prefer a constantly updated bearing to the next mark/waypoint rather than some systems that require you to manually reset the bearing. What good is a bearing 10 minutes ago?

Yachts NEVER go in a straight line, even when I'm not steering :thumbup:

The number of routes (100) means you may be able to get most of the harbour courses pre-loaded but . . . all the Westhaven clubs do not share the same course number for the same racing course, but some of the courses are the same, but they change them each year, otherwise life would be just too organised and boring :thumbup: :thumbup:

So if you have time have a good play with somebody else's GPS/Plotter. Then you may want to test the different ways other units work, E.g.

Can a single waypoint be used in multiple routes? Some can, some can't.

Can you get VMG to wind if linked or only VMM Velocity Made good to MARK?

Can you enter chart corrections or notes manually?

Can you adjust brilliance / contrast and day night settings?

:idea: How easy is it to reset the GSP in daylight after it was turned OFF during the night, OR will you be joining the rest of us with thick towels over our heads :oops: :oops: :oops: just before the start trying to get the colour pallette back to daylight or sunlight?

(I wish there was a simple option for that!! Still learning to reset BEFORE turning off after a night race.)

So a few thoughts in general. Make up your own checklist and test different options available. Prices will be similar, but sometimes fuctionality and "How to make it work my way" factors can be more important.

E.g. I changed my mobile phone, but the new software does NOT have "notes" against different contacts for passwords / berth Nos etc.

Grey matter having to work again.

As the consultant said, "Take my advice, I'm not using it".

Then share with us. We will all be interested, even KM!! :lol:

The crowd that make these also make the Plastimo branded gear.

They are also a very very large manufacturer, by world standards, of VHF radios, sold under many assorted brand names.

While the Samyung branded gear is a tad lower spec then the Plastimo one would expect if they make that plus that many VHF's, their own branded gear should be good, or at least as good as anyone elses.

I've had a samyung NF560 for over a year now and im pleased with it so far. :clap:
Good comment to hear.

Don't think samyung is lower spec'd that the plastimo from what I can see...and why would they :?:
I spoke to someone in the know. The units here are a tad lower in features, rather than Specs I suppose you could say. Samyung do have many units with assorted levels of features, as they all do. You'll probably find the slightly lower featured ones here are more to get the name noticed, by the lower price, in a busy market place and once it becomes more known the high feature models will arrive. Or it could just be someone positioning them in the product line using the slightly lower featured models as the cheaper option than a more known name, that is often common.

Mate of mine got the GME eqivilent...can't remember the model name. We compaired them. Same features, in fact, I think the the samyang had a better menu. What spec did the man in the know say was different? Only difference I could see is the price...my mate paid more!

I advise caution.

Over in the Cat 1 electronics thread, this same guy on trademe is selling the same brand AIS/chartplotters without the correct certification. It is likely he does not know this - the certificate given on the manufacturers website is not the correct one, and the AIS transponder is illegal to use here in NZ. 

While I certainly understand that people are trying to reduce costs, that's only fair. Just go in with your eyes open, and try to understand what you are getting!

Do you want to deal with a manufacturer who has deliberately set out to mislead it's customers??