wine yacht race

Bootlegger is planning on coming over, and The Guarantee is also planning on doing last I heard. Paul Fugle and I are looking for postions as crew, just waiting to hear whether The Guarantee needs us or not...

The Delivery - on The Guarantee

So, rather than go to work on Wednesday, a bunch of us thought it would be more enjoyable to sail across Cook Strait. Herdy made an early play for doofus of the day by sure-footedly announcing he had threaded the second reefing line, so it was ready to go, shoudl we need it later in the day. We hoisted the main and immediately spotted that whoever had threaded the 2nd reefing line had stuffed it up, and it was twisted. Herdy undid it, rethreaded it and we were off.

So long suckers at work...

thewinerace2011delivery.jpg

We actually had more of a reason for going than just skiving off work, although that woulda done nicely too. We were taking The Guarantee across to Waikawa for the 2011 Waikawa Bay Boating Club Wine Race. The race itself was due to start at 8.30am the next morning, just off Tory Channel entrance, but we needed to get to Waikawa in time for the 6pm briefing... so once we got around Point Halswell we popped a Gennaker to hasten our bolt for freedom.

And it helped... we were scotting along at 10 knots or so on a very pleasant morning...

As is often the way in these parts an inbound ferry complicated our exit path slightly. The closing speed of 30 knots meant we were having to soak slightly and then decided it was time to execute a less than stellar gybe to go through Chaffer's Passage...

Leaving The Pinnacles and the Eastbourne shore behind us

Barret's Reef slid by to port...

And we headed west across the south coast under number 4 and a full main enjoying the sun on our backs.

thewinerace2011deliveryi.jpg

Gucci was spotted up in front, so clearly we were now racing...

thewinerace2011deliveryt.jpg

Just before Sinclair Head it got quite light

And as another Bluebridge ferry slipped by with the still (slightly) snow capped Kaikoura ranges in the back ground

All of a sudden we were right next to Gucci.

Non-Wellingtonians with sharp eyesight might note, and perhaps scoff, at the fact that Gucci (and ourselves) had a reef in in such conditions. Well it was a good call. After a slight slop around in the Sinclair head rip, the wind factory did what it does best. Photos stopped for a while as we punched our way across Cook Straight in a confused seaway and gusts to 30 and 35 knots. The reef and the number 4 was a very nice sail plan for a wet and bumpy slightly cracked sheets passage.

We had a couple of Cook Strait first timers with us, who had eagerly taken up positions near the front of the rail. Their inexperience may have been partly to blame for the fact that some spray and some deck wash still made it back into the cockpit. Perhaps with more experience they will come to be more effective at blocking it?

About 1/3 of the way across the Strait Jamie noted that the drogue on the leeward lifebuoy was dragging in the water. Nicko went down and pulled it in and stuffed it back in it's place. It was determined to escape though and 20 minutes later Nicko was back down there pulling it in and restuffing it. If at first you don't suceed... or is it 3rd time works a charm? Either way, 20 minutes later, in the middle of Cook Strait we ran a man overboard drill as the leeward life buoy had made a fully fledged bit for freedom. I was assigned spotter duties as The Guarantee did a turn, and a perfectly executed 'practice pass' at the life buoy, and then a second pass and an even more perfectly executed 'actual pass at the life buoy - with a deft boat-hooked enhanced retrieval at 12.5 knots.

Remind me not to fall off The Guarantee in Cook Strait... a boat hook in the gonads at 12 - 13 knots might hurt. Since I only go overboard in 75+ knots, I should be okay though.

Without further dramas we arrived at Tory Entrance - always a nice place to arrive at, and particularly nice when the Cook Strait has been a little cold, wet and bumpy. Some of the less 'experienced' crew had spent a considerable portion of the crossing underwater and once inside Tory Channel there was a lot of changing out of wet gear, considerable demolition of filled rolls and sandwiches.

The Guarantee Rum Kit came out, and the stereo came on, and once sails and things were packed away and tidied up the rest of the trip to Waikawa was very pleasant indeed.

The Race - on Bootlegger

After 'some' festivities at the Waikawa Bay Boating Club, and then 'some more' festivities (and dinner) at The Jolly Rogger I meandered back to The Guarantee. Meandering, in this instance, could be interpreted either as:

( a ) highly efficient, land based navigation, through slightly familiar terrain, in low-lighting conditions while trying to reply to various txts

or

( b ) erratic drunken stumbling.

...depending on your perspective.

Nevertheless, gear was collected from The Guarantee, and after a fruitless search for marina pier 7W (which it turns out does not seem to exist, at least not between 6W and 8W where I expected to find it) I called Clive, and he was very helpful and explained that Bootlegger was in fact on 4W opposite the other toilet block, not opposite the toilet bloack where 7W ought to be.

So I meandered to 4W, found bootlegger, pulled out a sleeping bag and failed to sleep much. Although the next morning their were claims that the lack of sleep might have been due to the train which was running through the cabin at regular intervals. I pointed out there were more than one train... in fact one stage I think I counted 3, cleverly orchestrated and 3 different pitches and rythyms.

I must have got some sleep though, (or I could not have been found to be snoring), and because when the alarm went off at 4.30am, it woke me up. So we got up, got dressed and began breakfast, had breakfast, and headed out of Waikawa Marina. Just before That's Not Diffenbach I wernt down stairs to grab 30 minutes of fitful snoozing. When I came back on deck the sun was just about up, and the team were bright and cheerful...

thewinerace2011therace0.jpg

There was a ferry, surprise surprise...

and when we got to Tory Entrance the moring was warm and calm.

The start was delayed 5 minutes as the strong tidal flow was pushing Pacific Eagle south into the path of another ferry. So after Pacific Eagle moved we lined up for a start... but there was a general recall. According to Pacific Eagle "over half the fleet" was over early.

The start line was defined as a line between Pacific Eagle at the southern end, and Raikawa Rock at the north end, with boats having to start within 100 metres of Pacific Eagle.

We got a reasonably good start on the restart. Clive was happy with it...

You can see Pacific Eagle in this picture just behind our mainsheet... I thought we were stretching the 100 metres condition...

But we need not have been worried... as others obviously thought we were being waaaaayyyy to conservative.

thewinerace2011therace1.jpg

The Guarantee shot out to an early lead

Some of the fleet were flying, or trying to fly spinnakers, with varying degrees of success.

We had started under a full main and Genoa, after debating when, how soon, and by how much the winds in the strait would get up. We sailed a course of 085 to head just north of Karori Rock. At this angle the wind was right on the beam, and at times slightly forward of it.

We were pleased with our sail choice. as in the 15 - 20 knot conditions from the start the extra horsepower of Bootlegger's big overlapping genoa had us nicely powered up.

About midway across the strait the wind began to build. We began changing down through the gears... firstly putting as reef in, then changing from the Genoa to the number 3.

As we headed towards Terawhiti and Karori Rock we were going nicely...

Morale was high.

thewinerace2011therace1h.jpg

The wind continued to build and we put in a second reef just before the wind factory. Even with the number 3 and 2nd reef we were at times rounding up, but Clive was grinning like a little schoolboy as we peeeled off several bursts up to 12.8knots, running down waves in frotn of us with spray flying. It was good fun sailing.

Between Sincalir Head and Lyall Bay is was less fun. We were alternating between 12 knots (in which our 2 reefs and number 3 saw us very underpowered) and 38 knots (in which we discussed whether the storm jib would be a better call). We stuck with the 3 and the 2 reefs and things became less frustrating and more comfortable as we approached Moaning Mini. We rounded just behind a group of 4 boats, with Gucci and Montego Bay III a coupel of hundred metres further ahead. In the beat back up the harbour we passed one, then another, and eventually 5 boats, and closed the gap a little on Gucci. On the reach across from Point Halswell to the finish Windy Wellington threw some 40 knot gusts at us, just to welcome us home.

All in all a very enjoyable 2 days sailing in Cook Strait.

Archived