8.5 Promo Video

Clive

but when you flip it and then f*ck up the righting of it and put it on insurance, it is little wonder that multis are un-insurable.

Hang on Simon, you couldn’t get insurance long before either Tigre or the Deeds went over.

All but 2 of the ORMA 60’s have all been over.... that could be why you can’t get insurance.

What a shame, I thought I had made an exciting little vid and the thread gets brought down to ‘you f**ked up’

There was some really good input and discussion too.

Disappointing.

I liked the vid Clive and especially the music (I might have already said that). Getting insurance for multi's of any sort has been bloody difficult for years, but I don't think anyone was blaming you Clive. Don't let your creative juices stop flowing dude!

Don't be so sensitive Clive, you know fucked up is just a colloquial term for making a mistake.

You misunderstand, I have no complaint, I thought others were saying remove the video because it might affect insurance. In fact I was offered insurance from offshore but at $100kus Premium and the same xs, I figured that if we minimize damage and costs we would be back sailing for about that or less, fingers crossed.

The point I attempted to make was that more damage is offen done re-righting than the original flip.

I think the French experimented with selfinflating masthead bouys, as some plans I have seen showed it, but none of the boats I saw had it installed.I'm sure someone will know the reason.

Just saw the clip on FB and I reckon it's sensational. Thanks Clive, I am so looking fwd to getting Hard drive back in the water and having some of that kind of fun.

A comment I saw on SA on this got me thinking, some guy was giving some gyp about that capsize cost. But, has any consideration been given to design considerations that would mean the boat could survive a capsize with minimal damage? Obviously we sail smaller boats that are designed to survive capsize - up to 20ft but sometimes bigger - and obviously a 8.5 is carrying 5 to 7 times the weight of a F20, Tornado N20 etc for only 8 ft extra, but in theory could it be done?

Using watertight entry hatches would be a start. I guess you would never be able to get a mast buoyant enough to stop in going turtle, but what about quick release systems on the rig to get rid of it quick once over? Or thinking outside the box - a deployable mast head air bag? I'm not saying any of this possible, just seeing if the guys in the know have any ideas.

Interesting that this has just come up.

For the design of our system we decided not to waste time trying to reinvent the wheel so we went to the guy's who build the system used by the F1 race boat circuit.

Reasons

1) Already designed and approved for impact well beyond anything a race cat of wind power could throw at it.

2) Designed for the marine environment so works when needed.If it didn't these guys drown.

3) Light weight having been designed for a weight sensitive craft weighing in at 455kgs.

Due to not wanting weight aloft we designed a launch whereby the bag is able to be installed in its launch capsule at the base of the mast and is actuated up then deployed supposedly in one fluid motion in milliseconds like an automotive instillation.

This is just a simple breakdown without disclosing the key design detail IP.

For a pdf of what the kit has in it as supplied from the manufacturer email and we will forward by return email as the file is to large to attach.

Regards

The Ezifold team.

Airbag system.JPG

a deployable mast head air bag? I'm not saying any of this possible, just seeing if the guys in the know have any ideas.

Been thinking of that... there is the space to pop the lid on the mast and fit something in side ... question is what ...

Something like this....?

http://www.henshaw.co.uk/default.cfm/loadindex.54

Not quite as this system utilises a twofold system, where it uses a cleaver water ballast intake actuator that triggers at the same time as the bag this helps with the correct floatation/righting procedure

but when you flip it and then f*ck up the righting of it and put it on insurance, it is little wonder that multis are un-insurable.

Hang on Simon, you couldn’t get insurance long before either Tigre or the Deeds went over.

All but 2 of the ORMA 60’s have all been over.... that could be why you can’t get insurance.

What a shame, I thought I had made an exciting little vid and the thread gets brought down to ‘you f**ked up’

There was some really good input and discussion too.

Disappointing.

G'day. You sure got that correct - DISAPPOINTING for sure. I thought it was a great video & discussion - so please don't let the 'negs' win. Hyper sensitivity is not progress nor the way to get any. I'm sure we all have much to learn. Don't want to do it in public then start a 'semi-private' sub forum. Do anything but don't gag discussion - you'll just stifle growth & advancement lighten up blokes - for 'gawd's sake'

I'll put-up a few questions here & would like some positive comments so even I can learn.

Would it help to have the mast beam 18" farther aft ? Or raked?

Would it help to have the jib-tack front beam 24" farther aft?

Would it help if the boat had canted hulls?

Would it help to have 'fast release' main-sheet traveller system?

How about 'curved' c/bs & deeper rudders?

Anything else we might be able to do to make them quicker & more stable all at the same time?

Ciao, james

Archived