8.5 Promo Video

Clive

Awesome, although I don't think I'll show it to my other half who seems to think that multihulls spend a large proportion of their life upside down - due in no small part to statements made by lead slingers who have never sailed on one - having said that you have put up some pretty good evidence! :lol:

Cool music :thumbup:

Dan's not being silly, it seems the 8'5's consider the odd flip all part of the game, so what are you doing to make recovery easier/cheaper? It would seem a responsible thing to at least be thinking about.

Surely the manually activated mast head air bag idea wouldn't be too difficult to rig up and implement. It could be very similar to a manual inflatable life jacket ... possibly with the same inflation mechanism.

Dan's not being silly, it seems the 8'5's consider the odd flip all part of the game, so what are you doing to make recovery easier/cheaper? It would seem a responsible thing to at least be thinking about.

Well...

On Tigre all the wiring is now tinned and all joints are soldered. The battery is in a water tight box with waterproof connectors to the waterproof switch box.

I am also getting some doors that also act as steps into the cabins that hinge so when upside down they can fall closed and stop gear from floating out of the cabin.

I have put in some hatches so I can sink the stern and get towed up backwards as this is very easily done on the Deeds.

So in theory ... sink the stern and tow her up backwards, bail out and sail away... that’s how the Deeds boys do it at least! :D

a deployable mast head air bag? I'm not saying any of this possible, just seeing if the guys in the know have any ideas.

Been thinking of that... there is the space to pop the lid on the mast and fit something in side ... question is what ...

we did some figers on the air bag thing, with the 8.5s short rig (leverage) and the mass of the boats being quite high, to stop them turning completley over we needed about 200-300 liters of air at the top of the rig. which is a big heavy air bottle. even if you run a hose from the deck you still have to carry it around.

Ian Farrier is also putting a lot of thought into this. He is looking at an inflatable float with a gas cannister at deck level.

If you can get the boat to only go 90 - 110 degrees, then organise the top shroud to be lengthened, the bottom shroud to be shortened, it could tip itself back upright. This is another good reason for having a canting mast.

It may however not work for a boat where the boat is already 180 degrees before the float inflates.

But I don't think you would need a vast volume to prevent an 8.5 going turtle maybe 100-200L, but it would have to deploy asap, but you'd probably just want the biggest balloon you could possibly fit in the mast.

Yes I agree, you just need enough to give you time to release the shrouds and get the weight back over the C/L.

bit different for a pitchpole though..

Great discussion people but I never got to see the Video, can we have it back please!

Sorry, I need to edit it first for public use.... will add it to the 8.5 Facebook site as that is private.

Nice work clive, i just really hope my insures don't see it. It's already hard enough to get cover

Ok I'll take it off youtube..

All a bit late now I suggest guys, this fun little video isnt going to make any difference, the damage is done firstly when the whoopsy occures, but from what I have heard mostly when the boats are re-righted.

Yes Deeds did succesfully re-right their first flip with little colateral damage, but from what i understand of the second one significant damage was done re- righting, boat still not sailing. Clive I understand much of your beam and other hul/paint damage was done the same way? The wolfs damage was totaly re-righting I was told.

Look at how the French aproach the problem. They tow the things back upside down, and re-right with a crane. From those Frenchees I have spoken to about this, this is now the accepted practice. Think about it, leaving it upside down means no more internal or hull damage than is already done (wiring and electrics....) If the rig is still intact they put divers in and remove it, then the only extra cost is a slower tow home, with the time saved not trying to get it back up meaning this is a small cost compared to any further damage repair.

I think too many try to re-right out of embarasment, instead of thinking it through. Yes an 8.5 can be raced and treated as a beach cat, but when you flip it and then f*ck up the righting of it and put it on insurance, it is little wonder that multis are un-insurable.

How many 8.5 Trimarans have flipped? I'm hoping the answer is "very few" but it could just be a numbers game as there are more cats out there...

I liked the video btw but it did also get me thinking about the "dark side" of the 8.5 scene.

How many 8.5 Trimarans have flipped? I'm hoping the answer is "very few" but it could just be a numbers game as there are more cats out there...

No official 8.5 Tris. But Frantic and TW are 9m tris (or were) and they have both been over...

No official 8.5 Tris. But Frantic and TW are 9m tris (or were) and they have both been over...

Yes there are those examples; but then they are running 13+ meter masts and probably don't weigh a hell of a lot more than an 8.5. I'm probably grasping at straws here but I'm hoping that Tri's have a little less of a tendency to turn turtle.

Yes there are those examples; but then they are running 13+ meter masts and probably don't weigh a hell of a lot more than an 8.5. I'm probably grasping at straws here but I'm hoping that Tri's have a little less of a tendency to turn turtle.

I'm guessing they are a bit harder to flip, and as you point out, less of them to compare to.

Apart from the mast float there permanently it can be done to self right. But kinda hopeless in a cartwheel me thinks... . But with an airbag of some sort there is a possibility it could work.

It possibly wont work on some of our more spindly rigs as they wouldnt handle the compression when the sidestay is let go and the rig cants to leeward.

Archived