Salt water down the engine of Genset.

wheels

Here's and interesting situation. First off, don't worry, the genny was no good anyway. The starter had fried and I cant get a new one.

So I am getting it all ready to pull out and for some reason I just decided to see if I could turn the flywheel. Nope. Hmmm, little more effort required. Nope. Hmmm, I got a bar and tried, Nope, it was locked solid. Hmmm, unbolted the exhaust and all this corroded crud came out and I knew instantly Salt water had gone down the exhaust.

In this instalation, I have the exhaust enter the liftbox and then exit out through the side of the Hull. When we got knocked down off East cape, water must have run out of the liftbox and down the exhaust. Yes there is a goosneck, but that also ends up being horizontal enough for water to run down. So an interesting situation that will make me run an exhaust to the rear of the boat when i fit the new genny. But as I know of many many installations of both Gennys and even engines wide side exiting exhausts, it is something to think on.

That gives me a thought though AA. If I leave the genny out on the deck of the boat, do you think someone would steal it?? That way I don't have to worry about how to get it off.

I did wonder if I should chain it to my mooring line and let it slide down the line to add to the weight down there :wink:

You're up in Westie land Wheels. Put a Lion Red or Warriors sticker on your topsides and someone will pinch the entire boat inside 24hrs. Paint it matt black and stick a Holden Special Vehicle sticker on it and she'll be gone in 60mins. Inside 2 hours of that she'll be in chopped into parts and listed on Trade Me :)

Agree with AA, saw the title and though 'someone has their sail stuck up the mast??? WTF?'

OK I've changed the title :roll:

Yeah it's been concerning hearing all the stories of theft out this side. A guy at Herald Island rowed out to his boat, and rowed back 1hr later to find his car stolen.

Even though I feel a little safer here in the RNZAF married quater patch, a guy just had his boat stolen off his lawn.

Hey Wheels

i wouldnt get too worried about that sort of thing

We've had our family yacht up there for the last 20yrs i think and never had anything stolen as far as i know.

Just dont be stupid about things, put all the expensive gear out of sight or take the easy to remove stuff home.

People out west are no worse then the rest of the country, and to say Herald island was the rough side of the west would be a huge exaggeration.

Get to know the locals, if your using the Herald Island wharf maybe join the club, everyone keeps a bit of an eye out for each others gear and its nice to have someone to talk to on the wharf everytime.

Regards

Byron

Yes it isn't as bad as non-westies like to make out it is. WestieLand does have it's rougher areas but so does everywhere else.

Just thank your lucky stars you aren't in Remuera. There they don't pinch your car, they are too busy ripping off all the pensioners with assorted financial frauds.

Yes it isn't as bad as non-westies like to make out it is. WestieLand does have it's rougher areas but so does everywhere else.

Just thank your lucky stars you aren't in Remuera. There they don't pinch your car, they are too busy ripping off all the pensioners with assorted financial frauds.

And breaking into your house while you're asleep and sexually assaulting your daughter and tieing her up.

Archived