Cat 1 emergency tiller options for wheel steer

sailfish

yup have a mini platform out the back (cockpit exits on to it) and you can just reach over and touch the end of the rudder. Being steel I could just weld an eye on or something. That would be the simplest if that was satisfy the cat 1 requirement.

Steering setup you can push by hand (on the autopilot tiller). Its really no different in stiffness to jacking your cars front wheels off the ground and moving your wheels with your hand and the steering wheel goes round and round. That ram can push 1.1 tons of pressure.

Drilling a hole and filling it with a soft filler and painting would be my suggestion as it is easier than welding something on and less drag.

Just take a detailed photo before filling, write the hole size and label the shackle you have TEST fitted so that it will fit again easily.

My suggestion would be a large galv bow shackle, though a halyard shackle with the cross bar may have some advantages when tackles are attached and hang aft of the rudder, and a pin that won't fall off easily or be dropped over in 1,000+m. Hard to catch before it hits the bottom. :thumbup:

Think of the worst idiot you have ever sailed with and cater at 20 to 50% or less capability for the future, in a storm, when seasick and wanting to die :sick: which is only Stage 1.

Two more stages to go :thumbup:

Archived