Kiteboating- convert yours

Found this tonight- which I haven't seen before.

Looks like an interesting pre fab mod option to explore....

http://kite-boat-systems.com/

Cheaper than a rig potentially though for a cat!

Be interesting if any of these sorts of systems will get traction for largish cruising cat use in the future.

No big rig on the boat (and cost).....You would only be using a sail when there's wind anyway....So lack of ability to fly in light wind wouldn't matter......Just need a launch and retrieval system.

this is a cool idea,

I'd often wondered about the value of carrying a large kite as a jury rig on ocean passage as an effective jury rig...

I agree possibly as they are so light and can be (Vacuum) packed to save space, 2 or 3 could be easily carried, stowed up forward.

On a bigger yacht, say 60+ft, could two or 3 be flown together on a beam reach?

Most masts fall down when there is at least 5 to 10 knots. Very few masts fail in flat calm conditions IMHO but JK or BooBoo may know or have done more. I've only lost one.

For the weight....it would make a very interesting Jury rig dicussion...particularly on something like VOR70.....

Certainly make limping home faster...even if running a motor it could save gas (ie like what they have been exploring with the container ships)

http://www.skysails.info/english/

Looks like they have released a pleasure boat platform already!

Main challenge I would see is how to make light weight control gear- for use as secondary power in event of losing ones rig.

I look forward to the day someone with enough $$ and nuts big enough to try it tries entering a specifically developed yacht in a race. I think mostly in the sailing game it's not had the $$ thrown at it for pleasure/racing use outside of kiteboarding and possible use for big ships- saving $$$

Ideally you would only need one kite- that you can vary the power of- via pitch controls.

a0c231f864.jpg

Sean Langman had one for the Xena but it spent more time in the water than the air

I believe Nick Moloney tryed one on the Skandia Open 60. He only used it once.......

Think the company was called Kiteship

There has been alot of developement of these for commercial shipping

I'm sure BooBoo will pipe up at some stage... when he gave me a tour around the Norths loft I remember they were doing quite a lot of work manufacturing big kites for some other company. I think they were going after the really big stuff i.e supertankers.

Sean Langman had one for the Xena but it spent more time in the water than the air

I believe Nick Moloney tryed one on the Skandia Open 60. He only used it once.......

Think the company was called Kiteship

There has been alot of developement of these for commercial shipping

These kites are different to what I'd imagine would be used today... They were from memory all run from the mast?

I'd imagine somethng more controllable along the lines of a large kitesurf kite.

Kinda like the first link I posted.

The big challenges are how to launch and retrieve when your done. There are a few people round the world working on this- cant find the links at the moment.

Archived