phosphoric acid rust product

Fusion

Time to do some touch up on a few chips and rust spots on Fusion.

I have one particular pushpit base that I have had to attack every year. What is a good phosphoric acid rust product to use that's available in Auckland?

Hi Fusion...My solution is to use a cheap Dremel type tool with a diamond tip and clean the rusted area back to clean white metal. (Like a dentist !)...and then repaint with a two part epoxy primer.

I have found that , this method is quicker and more permenent than a rust convertor....

The flexible cable drive that fits to these type of tools makes it possible to get into most difficult spots.

Hi IB, I have been using the Dremel but not diamond tips. I will investigates :-) I am giving Tergo BlackGuard a go on a small bit. I have another issue under the scuttle. That will be a nightmare to remove.

Tergo is a good product, but expensive. Burnsco has a straight PA really cheap and it works just fine on SST.

The blackguard dries to a black stuff that is supposed to bind the rust together. But you still have to paint it or it rusts again and i have had problems with it rusting underneath. the better way is to clean the rust away, treat with clear PA to get it to clean steel and then prime and paint.

if you are after an acid product try tergophos.

if using black guard make sure you over coat it with a suitable paint, I used to use multibond primer.

If you do not overoat blackguard and it gets wet, it will bleed and you paint work will mark.

if you are after an acid product try tergophos.

if using black guard make sure you over coat it with a suitable paint, I used to use multibond primer.

If you do not overoat blackguard and it gets wet, it will bleed and you paint work will mark.

Yep, Blackguard bleeds. I went down to put a 2nd coat on at midday and lasts nights rain had left a nice black stain over top of the rust stain I was trying to rectify the source of. I tried jiff on a bit and it came off easily. A top coat tomorrow and scrub off the stain :-)

Archived