Picton area boat ramps?

Brendon

Can anyone advise me on options for a boat ramp to use around Picton / Waikawa area. Where it is reasonably safe to leave a car and trailer for a couple of days.

Last Saturday I sailed across Cook Strait for the first time in my 25 ft trailer sailor but decided not to sail it back due to uncooperative winds, and having to get back to work. So now I want to ferry the trailer across on Friday, park up somewhere, get on board the yacht and sail Friday afternoon and Saturday, before putting it on the trailer on Sunday to return to Wellington.

Well done on getting across with your trailer sailer, hope you had a good time. Cook Strait easy for anything in the right conditions!

Ramps at Picton marina or at Waikawa marina are best. Both good security for vehicles (suggest Waikawa better -they have cameras and patrols, not sure about how it is done at Picton) Both are run by Port Marlborough, have a look on their website for charges.

There's also a ramp in Waikawa Bay which will be cheaper but not so secure.

Have fun, might see you out there over the weekend -Nonstop in cruise mode!

Cheers

Pete and Ellen

Thanks, yes had a great time, just stayed too long and lost my window of opportunity to return. Expect to be back for a longer cruise next summer.

An added bonus, my wife also enjoyed it and now wants to do more. She didn't sail with me across the strait, but ferried over and joined me at Picton.

Waikawa marina have excellent cameras and security can't comment on Picton as I haven't had any dealings with them but I believe they are rebuilding the marina so they may not be much room spare

good call re weather we came back tonight we had wind 25 - 35 ave with max of 44 bit of a chop

Archived