Free Carbon Prepreg!!

chic014

We have cleared out the freezer in our lab and have a few rolls of prepreg we have to give away to whoever wants to come and pick them up. All rolls are pretty old, but have been stored in a freezer, but not in sealed bags. They are currently out of the freezer so the sooner you get them the better.

Roll 1:

Carbon Unidirectional Large roll 914mm wide originally 150m long, not sure exactly how much left but quite a bit. Type: Torayca P 825AN-15UC(M30G). Areal weight probably ~150GSM. Think it's ex Southern Spars so most likely autoclave epoxy prepreg. Maybe around 5 years old.

Roll 2:

Carbon Twill Phenolic Resin Prepreg, Boeing product via Air NZ. BMS 8-274 Rev L, Type II Class 4. 60 yards long. Manufactured December 2007ish. Used for aircraft interior applications.

Roll 3:

Glass Veil Phenolic Resin Prepreg, Boeing product via Air NZ BMS 8-222 Rev K, Type I, Class 120, 115 yards long, Manufactured 03/01/2008. Very light weight glass weave fabric, maybe 100GSM. Used for aircraft interior applications.

Roll 4:

Glass Knitted Fabric Phenolic Resin Prepreg Boeing product via Air NZ BMS 8-222 Rev K, Type II, Class 200. Manufactured December 2007ish. Used for aircraft interior applications.

All are pick up from Centre for Advanced Composite Materials (CACM) at the University of Auckland Tamaki Campus, Morrin Rd, Glen Innes. Generally 9am-5pm weekdays.

First in first served!

Roll 1-400.jpg

Roll 2-400.jpg

Roll 3-400.jpg

Roll 4-400.jpg

I am keen on the first 2 rolls. Can pick up quickly maybe tomorrow. Will help my brother with his new centerboard and rudder cassettes on the stealth mission 8.5 tri.

Sorry W.T. got in first for the carbon, but I'll let you know if it falls through.

The rolls are pretty big, a lot more than you'd need for some centreboard and rudder cassettes, so depending on what W.T. has in mind, you might be able to come to an arrangement with him.

can you just confirm that they are prepreg as well?

I had a huge ply box that I was going to glass and turn into a floating dockbox but it was gong to cost too much so i just gave the box to the father in law to keep his firewood in!

Damn, i might still be able to get it back thou!

Ya reckon the glass would be OK for that job?

Yes they are both prepreg.

Roll 3 is a fine veil, something I think you'd use as the surface layer of a part.

Roll 4 is a heavier knitted looking fabric, presumably for good impact properties.Maybe 2-300GSM.

Both are phenolic resin which is a flame retardent resin typically used in aircraft interiors.

So you could probably glass up your ply box by just using lots of plies, but I think the real issue is getting the cure cycle, which typically for phenolic resin is at 250F or 121C. I dunno if your ply box will be able to take that, or you have access to an oven etc to do it. This isn't low temp prepreg typically used in marine applications where you can get away with cure around 70C.

But you're more than welcome to give it a try.

Archived