PFD's

Megwyn

Do you wear a PFD when you weigh anchor?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wear a PFD when you weigh anchor?

• sometimes
    • always
    • never

I wonder about wearing life jackets and if they are as safe as we presume. If down below and say the keel detaches and the yacht inverts, water coming aboard then trying to swim down deeper to get out through a hatch with a inflated jacket seems doomed to me. Also getting hooked up in the rigging as KM mentions. Trying to swim with one on looks like a lot of trouble. In a way they make us give up control of the situation to a sort of mindless get to the top energy when it could be better to go below.

But yes I usually wear one because I'm mostly shorthanded. Carrying a waterproof mobile phone is a big plus when coastal.

Great point bbay. In aircraft ditchings an awful lot of people have drowned because they inflated their life jacket proir to exiting the aircraft. ALWAYS make sure you have exited the vessel prior to inflation. And it is a good arguement against lifejackets thast automatically inflate upon immersion in water.

Are we talking lifejackets or buoyancy aids? There's quite a big difference.

Keelboats/big multi's (lifejackets)...

Coastal - really depends on the conditions and the boat, or if the skipper demands it.

Around the cans - very rarely.

Or buoyancy aids...

In the trailer yacht - always, setting a good example for the kids!

In the Laser - ALWAYS. I've only ever had one life threatening incident while racing - somehow got my outhaul hooked into my BA shoulder strap during a botched rolltack in 30+ knots, ended up with the boat inverted, and me basically tied to the boom.

Had quite a few close calls while training though, concussions, near drownings etc. while trying new things and pushing the envelope.

And also, if I'm instructing, coaching, or safety cover, then its a mandatory yes, again, primarily to set a good example, but also in case I need to jump in and help someone.

Archived