GPS tracker

Tracker fitted and it's all good as Aunty Ethyl from the Waikato can now watch you on the interweb. Your enjoying your Xmas month away and are tucked up in a nice bay in Whangaroa Harbour with a hot chick who has an aversion to clothing. Next thing f*ck me, a chopper is hovering 30ft over your boat as 2 dudes in wetsuits jump out of it, an Orion is circling overhead and a big CG boat is coming at you doing 30kts. WTF??? Your tracker had turned off/malfunctioned/lost reception/battery switch had been bumped by your toe during some 'adult games' with said hottie. Aunty Ethyl rang Maritime Rescue :?

Sound wild?? Check out how many times it's happened before and the rate of increase of incidents like that.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Very good KM. But surely its no more risk that inadvertantly activating the 406mHz ELT? And similarly, surely you could mount it so the chance of such an activation was very little?

Also, if you have to engage in 'extraciricular activity' then surely it has an 'off' switch????? :P

True but when said hottie climbs out of the 1/4 berth completely naked firm and perky saying 'I'm horny as hell so give it to me NOW!!! big boy', if turning off your tracker is the 1st thing that pops into your mind you have issues that need addressing fast :lol: :lol: :lol:

True but when said hottie climbs out of the 1/4 berth completely naked firm and perky saying 'I'm horny as hell so give it to me NOW!!! big boy', if turning off your tracker is the 1st thing that pops into your mind you have issues that need addressing fast :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gold :lol:

Today I wouldn't mind if the Weiti single handed race fleet had trackers, they're out on a 25 mile race which will probably take quite a while and so that way I'd know when to head back down to the club to do the results.

I like to be incognito, turn everything off and disappear.

I'd love to do the same CO.....but it's just not worth the grief! And the other side of it is that just after you've hit a container in the middle of the Atlantic, and the boat pays a quick (but permanent) visit to Davey Jones (the 406 goes with it), and you're lying back in your liferaft doing a spot of fishing waiting for someone to come and pick you up, I wonder how many times, during the weeks/months afloat that follow, you rethink that desire. :idea: :lol:

Today I wouldn't mind if the Weiti single handed race fleet had trackers, they're out on a 25 mile race which will probably take quite a while and so that way I'd know when to head back down to the club to do the results.

For a hundred bucks I rekon it's pretty good value... but as Fusion said:

Just use AIS :-)

The transponder costs a bit more, but vakes you a whole bundle more visible!

Yeah, not an option for a poor lowly yacht club, but within reason I usually have a pretty good idea who's gonna be first across the finish line and so if they had a tracker, I can be anywhere in the neighbourhood and take a look on my laptop or an iPad for those who have one or an Android/iPhone (just for KM :lol: ) and see where he is, then when the time is right, pack up what I'm doing and head down to the club to take finish times, do results etc.

I guess to take this to it's logical conclusion, when the technology is there (& it may already be) one could programme in the finish line coordinates, bung a tracker on each boat, and then "the system" (possibly yet to be invented) simply records the finish time for you!

Now we're cookin' with gas! :thumbup:

You my man will be caught and nailed one of these days

You my man will be caught and nailed one of these days
Oh I do hope so, I live in hope :lol: :lol:

Android/iPhone (just for KM :lol: ) and see where he is, then when the time is right, pack up what I'm doing and head down to the club to take finish times, do results etc

You bugger nearly beat me to it............... but knot quite.

Hey C, just use your new shiny iPhone. There is an App which you can use to show you where another one is. You just get Aunty Ethel to punch in your ph number and it'll tell her where your phone is. It is quite accurate from what I've seen. Just make sure Aunty can't turn the camera on or she may just see something she probably hasn't for many years :lol: :lol:

Archived