THE SHAW SAVILL CUP LBYC

Young Mr Reid

Hi Jamie, thanks for the heads up. Sounds great. I have tried to check the Lbyc.org.nz website for details, but couldn't find any...

I have looked at the calendar for March 18th, and it's just got an entry for "Sail Wellington Regatta", but no further details. It just says:

Sail Wellington Regatta

When Sunday, Mar 18, 2012

DescriptionSpecial Instructions

Race Officer: Sailing Committee

And there is a More Details link. However the More Details link just gives:

Sail Wellington Regatta

Sun, 18 March, 00:00 – Mon, 19 March, 00:00

Video chat

Calendar LBYC Racing

Created by lbycwebmaster@gmail.com

Description Special Instructions

Race Officer: Sailing Committee

So then I clicked:

Home - Racing - Sail Wellington Regatta.

But that takes me to a page all about the 2011 Sail Wellington Regatta, on March 20th. That page inclued the 2011 NOR and Sailing Instructions... Which amongst other things say (In the 2011 NOR):

3.5 Visiting Boats:

(a) To be eligible to compete, the entrant shall be a financial member of a club recognised by the

entrant’s national authority.

(B) Visiting Boats may not be eligible for some LBYC trophies, but will be eligible for prizes.

© The Organising Authority may, in its unfettered discretion, accept, reject or subsequently cancel

the entry of a Visiting Boat.

So, firslty could you please post a link, or step by step instructions on how to find the details of the 2012 event because I can't find it. And secondly, are visiting boats elligible for the Shaw Savill Cup? And thirdly what is the Shaw Savill cup awarded for?

Lastly, I've had people from RPNYC tell me that their Pet Cup is the oldest trophy in not just NZ yachting, but NZ sport. And then I have had people from Evans Bay assure me that they have a different Pet Cup, and that their one is 1 year older than the RPNYC one... and that it is the oldest trophy in NZ tachting (and NZ Sport). So, how old is the Shaw Savill Cup, out of interest? (I couldn't find anything about it on the Llbyc.org.nz website - if there is a page, can you post a link to that too please?)

Cheers,

Bardy.

Notice of Race is here: http://www.lbyc.org.nz/Sail%20Wellington%202012%20-%20Notice%20of%20Race.pdf

Why are we using an Auckland RO? Just trying something a little different.

Is the Shaw Saville Cup the oldest sailing cup raced for in New Zealand? We're told it is but then we've heard the Pet Cup stories as well. Someone was doing some research on this so I'll try and dig that up.

The Shaw Savill Cup was first presented in 1872. I do not believe it is the oldest cup in NZ. I think one or two of the various Pet Cups may be older. That is only the Wellington region as well. There is likely to be some that could be older in Auckland.

As I understand it there were possibly another two Shaw Savill Cups to presented in the same era to other cities. I think there is one in Canterbury.

A little history r.e "The shaw savill cup" :The LBYC Sail Wellington Regatta came about in 1997 after the last agent for the Shaw Saville Line in Wellington cleaned out the offices as they were no longer required. In the bottom of the safe in a box was an amazing silver cup. As it had yachts on it, the agent took it to LBYC's then commodore Ian Grieg. Ian gratefully accepted the trophy on behalf of Wellington keelboat sailors and LBYC.

Some investigation was then done about the cup to find out more about it’s history. Hugh Poole has a photograph of the trophy being presented to the Wellington Yachting Association (WYA) onboard the Shaw Saville Liner “Gothic” at Queens Wharf in 1952. Other well know sailors present that night were Brian Cooper, Graham Hargreaves, and Pat Millar. It is not known as to what happened to the trophy after being given to WYA, and how it ended up back at the Shaw Saville Line agents office. Due to this unknown history there was a certain amount of politicing regarding where the trophy should end up. Some of those present thought it should be given back to WYA, other wanted to be given to RPNYC, and other were happy for LBYC to have it. The outcome was that the trophy is for the keelboat sailors of Wellington Harbour, and it is to be raced for in an annual open keelboat regatta.

With the historical issues settled, vice commodore Geoff Herd assisted by Grahame Eathorne, the late Blair Robertson and others began planning the inaugural  Sail Wellington Regatta. It was held in 1998 with 60 keelboats attending from LBYC, RPNYC, and Mana Cruising Club. The regatta also included juniors in Optimist's and trailer yachts as well. After the first year the dinghy side of the regatta was dropped from two days to one day, and eventully removed as there was little support from the dinghy clubs. While this may have been disappointing it allowed the regatta to concentrate on what is was created for - regatta sailing for keelboats and trailer yachts.

The Sail Wellington Regatta is now firmly entrenched in the Wellington sailing calendar. Over the last few years it has suffered from lower numbers of yachts competing. LBYC have now made this a single day regatta and want to improve the regatta and get it back to being a top regional keelboat regatta in New Zealand. Hopefully this can happen with more support from Wellington keelboat sailors. Would be great to see it back as a two day regatta. Grant Reid (regatta organizing committee)

So Young Mr Reid. If as you state above "the trophy is for the keelboat sailors of Wellington Harbour, and it is to be raced for in an annual open keelboat regatta". Can all keel boat sailors of Wellington harbour compete for and win the Shaw Saville Cup or do they have to be senior members of one particular Yacht Club?

Okay.

From the 2012 Notice of race, it says:

3. Eligibility and Entry

Eligibility

3.1 Racing is open to all self-righting monohull yachts

3.2 The Organising Authority may assign boats into divisions.

3.3 Entries will be accepted from ‘LBYC Boats’ and from ‘Visiting Boats’.

3.4 LBYC Boats:

(a) To be eligible to compete, the boat must be registered on the LBYC Boat Register.

(B) To be eligible to compete, the person in charge of the boat shall be a financial member of Lowry Bay Yacht Club.

3.5 Visiting Boats:

(a) To be eligible to compete, the entrant shall be a financial member of a club recognised by the entrant’s national authority.

(B) Visiting Boats may not be eligible for some LBYC trophies, but will be eligible for prizes.

© The Organising Authority may, in its unfettered discretion, accept, reject or subsequently cancel the entry of a Visiting Boat.

Entries

3.6 Eligible boats may enter by registering at LBYC clubrooms between 0730 and 0900 hrs on Sunday 18 March 2012

Later it also says:

12. Prizes

12.1 The Organising Authority may award trophies for the winners of specific races, series or divisions or sections within a race or series.

12.2 Some LBYC trophies may only be awarded to boats entered as a LBYC Boat’. If, but for this instruction, a trophy would have been awarded to a ‘Visiting Boat’, then the trophy will instead be awarded to the highest placed ‘LBYC Boat’.

So, could some one please tell me the answer to two questions:

1. What is the Shaw Savill Cup to be presented for? i.e. What do you have to do to win it? Win the regatta? Win a specific division? Win the third race in which the breeze is less than 10 knots at the start? It does not state what the Shaw Savill Cup will be awarded for in the NOR.

2. And are visiting boats eligible to win the Shaw Savill Cup? Yes or no?

The Shaw Savill Cup is presented to the winner of Division 1 on handicap (irrespective of whether a LBYC baot or a visiting boat). There are also trophies for 1st on handicap for Div 2 and Div 3, but those aren't named Shaw Savill :)

The winner of the Flying Fifteens has the glory of being named the Wellington Flying Fifteen Champion but I don't know if there is a cup for that or not.

There is also trophies for the first LBYC boat and the first visiting boat.

So plenty of trophies to be won.

Archived