European communications

Rafin

I could use some advice from those more tech-savvy people please. My wife and I are planning to spend our winter in Europe and will need some communication gear. I've had laptops for about 25 years but that went when I gave up work. Now have a desktop and cellphones so will need to upgrade.

Our needs will be telephone within Europe, email, and internet for communicating and GPS. Thinking GPS for vehicle navigation plus a pocket type so I can actually find the vehicle in large cities!

Do I take my own (older) phone and buy a SIM card there? Buy a new phone with GPS? Use a small laptop or one of these smart new devices like the Iphone? Don't want too many devices but also don't want all my eggs in one basket.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Ray

Smart phone (with wifi) and buy sim cards as you go - do some research before you goso you know what you will be up for.

A netbook might be worth it for email / web - friend had one and only had phone for emergencies.

A netbook/i Pad/ i phone and together with Skype can be used for normal calls - for 5 or 10 Euros per half year you can call landlines over here unlimited. This may have changed but it was a deal last year, it complemented poor Wifi areas when you want to use the free Skype and the person you are calling doesn't have to be on line. You can also wake people in the early hours of the morning - just for a chat!!?!!

Just take an iPad and a cheap mobile (unlocked) that you can use a local sim card.

Get the iPad with sim card so you can use for web, email and gps. You can also use it with Skype to call home for free. You can also video call on it.

Don't bother taking a laptop.

Archived