Boat on the rocks in Evans Bay

benny14

:( Just heading home from airport after bring in the shaky city and saw this... Pretty sad... Anyone know who's it is? Probably pretty hard to tell from the pics. Gnarly southerly blowing here today, must've come off one of the moorings just out from where it is now.

IMG_0535.JPG

IMG_0536.JPG

I think it is a Piedy, the only one in Wellington that I've seen. It was on trademe a year ago, and I was admiring the work presumably done by a new owner while sailing round there with our Sea Scouts the other week. New paint and sail covers etc, she was starting to look really smart.

Sad to see it like that.

That's a real shame. But it takes more than a little sinking to destroy a piedy. Loose unit and Jim Bean (beam?) have been sunk and are still kicking around.

Hope it's not a major and they are sailing again soon :thumbup:

yep, it was the piedy, "Dinglemouse" it appears the headline chaffed and let go, very sad sight. Unfortunately it was bouncing against a decent size concrete block. I don't think its going to be pretty when it gets lifted out, and looking at he forecast that might not even happen tomorrow.

Also had a wagstaff 22 sink on its mooring....

This boat will not be sailing again. It is now on the hard in the park next to the rocks where it washed up. Half of one side has gone. Used to belong to someone who sailed with us on Esprit.

It is sad for me to see this as it was the very first boat I ever sailed on. This was back in the late 70's. One afternoon sailing on what was "New Horizon" has had me hooked for the last 30 odd years.

It was owned by Merideth Webster who worked at Hood Sails at Greta Point back then.

owner is still pondering the next move, its about a quarter gone, and not a huge amount of framing lost. At this stage re-build is still an option, he was going home to sleep on it.

Its possible he has a few more resources than the average piedy owner, starting with space to work on it...

Archived