Keel Repair

Island Time

ok guys, The other day we hit a large mostly submerged log. We were at 7 knts and dropped to one. As you can imagine it was quite a bang! Anyway, immediatey checked bilges, keel bolts etc, and no damage apparent from inside. Conditions were such that outside was not an option at the time. The impact was (fortuantely) right on the bow, and then again on the front of the keel. I think we hit it, pushed it lower, and the keel turned it aside. We never saw the object (1am), dark, 25knts, very dirty water.

Now I have got to clean water I have had a close look. The only damage I can find is a 150mm (approx) crack in the gelcoat on the front of the keel, maybe 200mm down the leading edge.

There are no haul out facilities for us here in north borneo, and won't be until we get to New Caledonia later in the year. I can considering sealing the crack with underwater epoxy, so the high water pressures at the keel root (at speed) don't make the damge worse.

Anyone have any better Ideas?

Thx

Matt

Hi Matt thats no good to hear! How wide is the crack between the hull & keel? I can't see any problem with plugging the join up until you can get out of the water. Heaps of fin keelers have cracks at the join as long as no water is weeping inside the boat it will be ok. Probably a silly question but just as a precautionary have you tapped round the floors stringers and forwards etc with a hammer to check the laminates are all ok?

no crack between hull and keel. Crack is on leading edge of the keel about 200mm down. Crack is vertical. Now temp repaired with underwater epoxy. There is no delam or any movement that I can find in the keel fixtures, floors or frames. Seems to have survived the impact pretty well. Sealing the crack is just to stop pressurised water entering the keel and poss causing further damage before I can fix it properly...

I think it will be ok.....

Oh im with you now! Apart from that all is well? Bullfinch managed to get home from cape Kom in a whisker over 2hours we averaged over 9knots for the first hour! Days like that you wished the strait was 50nm not 18lol

Archived