Same sailors for different boats?

I'm obviously displaying my lack of knowledge here, especially when it comes to racing yachts, but I am surprised that some of the same helmsmen are racing the new AC catamarans as were racing the old AC monohulls. Should I be surprised? Given the major differences between the boats, is it odd that the best monohull sailor should also be the best catamaran sailor? To me its a bit like expecting the best F1 driver to be the best rally driver. Is it just the same helmsmen, or are the sailors in other positions ex-AC-monohull sailors too?

Apologies if this has already been discussed.

I wouldn't say it was like rally vs F1. More like supercar vs F1. The proof is there with Dean Barker easily footing it with the likes of Bundock and Peyron who are at the top of the multi scene. Though Dean didn't just jump onto a cat and start being awesome straight away, he has put in a lot of training to get up to speed. A good sailor is a good sailor no matter what the boat.

You have to wonder if artemis have made the right choice with Terry, he looked like a very old man getting around the boat on the windy day in naples just before the capsize.

Agreed. The AC45's are so physically challenging that it tends to favour the younger crew. I suspect that is partly why Mitch Booth stopped sailing for China team, and why Russell Coutts also was replaced with Darren Bundock. Both obviously very good sailors but maybe not as fit.

Both obviously very good sailors but maybe not as fit.

:think:

OR perhaps that little bit older now to know that wearing crash helmets :crazy: to go sailing and expecting high speed capsises is no longer that attractive for a days enjoyment.

Archived