sh1 delivery voyage complete

cam

Thanks guys this is extremely helpful, will definitely consider all this info as total trailer replacement is quite a big bag of money, I would much rather spend on the boat itself (not that it needs it).

Also will try a few different weight distributions before making any decisions.

Terry - its much more fun to sit on your boat out on the water than it is on the trailer :wink: and not having to do battle at the boat ramp any more is a real bonus. :D Tha'ts why many trailer yachties stop trailering - or so I am told.

Have to totally agree with this statement Megwyn :) faffing about with trailers is NOT my main interest. altho every boat is a compromise to some extent, and the pros/cons of trailer sailor vs small keelboat have been going round in my brain for a few years now. This forum has been very helpful in this respect actually.

Looking forward to the ability to travel and combine family holiday plans with fairly flexible (and highly weather dependant) sailing ones. As well as being able to beach her and explore the shallows...

Also seeing the kids playing in the boat on the driveway is working towards my master plan quite well ("gee kids aint boats fun places to play").

trailer yachting is great. means I can spend $400 a month on food and booze rather than marina berth fees and the boat is only steps from my garage and toolshed when work needs to be done.

incidently 80 - 90 kms per hour is my target when towing.

90 on straight flat roads, 80 or less on windy hilly bits.

its just too easy to get the speed wobbles and lose control.

I've seen so many fizz boat nastys come croppers on the northern motorway by going too fast.

you need to be really careful towing down hill into corners.

Something that hasn't been mentioned is to check your tyre pressures, makes a hell off a difference when the weights increase, check the manufactures recommended pressure for "heavy" towing

Short or long wheelbase Landcruiser?

The longer the better is the rule, the SWB ones tow like crap. If its a LWB and you have had problems then its definitely a balance/tongue weight thing.

I just put a new heavy duty tandem trailer under Energy (E7.4 @ 1400kg + gear) for under 5k (no brakes tho, it never leaves Westhaven) This one -

http://www.xpresstrailers.co.nz/BOAT+TRAILERS/Tandem+Axle+Boat+Trailers/22-24ft+-+Heavy+Duty.html without the wobble rollers, brakes, lights etc. Its real heavy duty with 120x60 main beams. It required a wee bit of modification but nothing too drastic.

EE

Nice looking trailer EE and reasonable looking price to! yep it is a LWB so good to know cheers.

tyre pressure is a good point, I did get them both to 50 at the tyre center, they didnt have a max written on these light truck tyres that I could see, but the tyre guys reckon that was about right. Must find out what the max actually is and get them to that.

Cheers for the speed guidance Phil! Yeah thats pretty much what I was naturally gravitating to in general actually so thats good to know whats a realistic target in others experience.

Archived