Marine rubbish in the Auckland area - what to do

lisae

PS: Knot Me; I'd be very interested to know what you're talking about? I can tell you from experience that providing rubbish and recycling services to the Gulf Islands is a very expensive process - one that used to be subsidised by 'mainland' ratepayers in the Auckland City Council days.

I have heard the ACC is close to spending around 2.7mil on a totally unneeded item. That 2.7mil if invested instead could provide the number range mentioned in returns each year. What's more this unnecessary item could have a $200K a year running cost.

So if that money was swapped to say a project like the rubbish instead, the ratepayers knot only save $200K a year running costs but could keep control of the 2.7mil and have some way way more useful and required rubbish barges in the gulf either freebie or very heavily subsidised. The item in question will provide zero goodness to the Gulf, nor much else, where rubbish barges would and in doing so benefit the entire Akl region rather than maybe just 100 lazy people.

I'm just sussing deeper to get more detail and double checking. Stand by.

you might want to have a look at the draft Waste Management and Minimisation Plan

Errr, thanks but no thanks I'll give that one a miss.

Ailys: if you live in the new Auckland Council area, and are not yet on a user-pays rubbish collection, chances are you will be at some stage in the medium-term.

Which sounds like an underhand scheme. Cos I don't imagine that the day we switch to pre-pay rubbish bags collection the council will give me a refund for the rubbish collection portion of my current rates?

But they should. Or else they could use them for a marine system. But no, they want to charge extra for that as well.

I'm getting way beyond my remit here talking about userpays in general, so I'll just say that the questions you've asked above have been asked by others during the submission process, and if you do look at the info on the council's website you'll find their arguments for what they might or might not do. Unfortunately as the submission process is ended, your opportunity to have your say on the plan specifically is past, but there is always the LTP and annual plan processes.

And looking forward to hearing more about this mysterious project that the Council might be up to!

Archived