Stove / galley for a trailer sailer

oliver

I've got a 7 metre trailer sailer, and I'm thinking about putting in a minimal galley so we can make a cup of tea or cook for overnighting. Nothing too huge, it's more a camping sort of thing than a cruising yacht!

It's a glass over ply boat, so building in a bench is quite possible. I'd like to avoid plumbing though, somewhere to stow a water container with a tap and a basin for washing up will do.

What do people recommend for stoves? I saw an Origo two-burner meths stove go in Trademe for $100 ish, and I was annoyed that I forgot about the auction and missed it! Are they any good? At full price they're too much for my budget ($600!) but another second hand one might come up. Otherwise I could go gas, but that'll mean putting in a gas line, and the only locker I have that a gas bottle could go in is below the waterline - separated from the cabin but I couldn't have a drain at the bottom of it.

I could use a $30 flattish gas stove that I have for camping, a Mitre10 type that uses cartridges but I'd worry about storing it in the boat. Maybe leaving that in a cockpit locker is a solution.

Any suggestions? Any second hand stoves out there?

Why wouldn't you use a portable butane burner camp stove? I'd store the excess canisters in an outside locker personally. You could even pack the stove up each night as required if you felt safer. We used one for a little while before I got the LPG sorted safety wise on the Tracker. The butane canister lasts a suprising amount of time if all you are doing is heating water out of the wind. We still carry one as a spare in case of emergency.

I have heard of race yachts removing the heavy LPG burner/ovens during big events and replacing them with one of these.

Agree with the above. I have a noelex 22 I use for much the same - weekender's camping in bays rather then cruising and find a small butane camping cooker perfect. You can move it anywhere you want to often end up cooking on the beach anyway - if its raining will use it in the cabin.

Yes, I might go that way - then all I need to do is build a little table to stand it on, I already have one of those stoves. I can cook in the cockpit with it too.

I've found the heat output not that great when the can of gas gets low, particularly if it's cold, and I was a bit worried about the can leaking - if you leave it in the stove you're relying on a 20c Chinese valve to keep the gas in the tin.

We have successfully used these wee butane cookers for the last few years on our trailer sailers. They only last a couple of seasons, but are light and portable, and plenty to cook a meal in a pot.

It is still all we are using on RO at the moment - until I can get my head around the kero stove :wink: We always turn it off, and always store it in its case. never had a problem.

M

Archived