Mullety or not?

DrWatson

Should I buy an L class Mullety to use for spartan summer cruising when I'm back in NZ?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Should I buy an L class Mullety to use for spartan summer cruising when I'm back in NZ?

• yes
    • no

In reality I'm just looking for excuses to treat myself now that I have a new job, but also for experiences on using a mullet boat for short-handed weekending etc.

Nothing against mulleties but IMHO, horses for courses applies here - if your objective is cruising, probably more bang for your buck in a boat of similar length that has been designed and set up for cruising.

Looking at what comes through for sale, I have been surprised at how the market is passing over boats from what were previously highly-regarded NZ designers. Here's one quick one off TM - seems to have just about everything you would want, scroll down and the guy is saying he would let it go for $6.5k without the outboard:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-m ... 485805.htm

Yeh, an L class is a handfull, but often they're sailed at the edge and could be reefed before they are. Won't be single handing.

I actually have access to a 727 but it's a lot further from the water than what I'm currently considering, and given that I want to make the most of the limited sailing time I have available in NZ, I'm happy to be able to make progress on those 5 knt variable days.

Would dry store it when we're not in NZ.

next time you're here in NZ and there's a 980low to the west try taking the kitchen table, a tarp and a dozen beer and camp out on the back lawn

Sailingwise, even though they're well over 30' LOA and carry an imperial ton of loose ballast in a 22' hull they actually handle really well, expect savage helm though

Yeah, there are a lot of good value boats under 10 grand at the moment, that's for sure.

Part of me sees the sense in a 25 ft keeler, and the other part wants to go explore estuaries and shallow water, and then haul out at my folks place for the winter. A keeler means I'll be more likely to have to get a mooring over some winter and then have the added stress of a boat on the water during winter while I?m not there to check on it.

And another part of me wants to go as fast as possible with whatever wind is available.

I've always had a soft spot for mullet boats - I'm not sure there are drugs to cure that...

next time you're here in NZ and there's a 980low to the west try taking the kitchen table, a tarp and a dozen beer and camp out on the back lawn

:) LOL

Kinda done this in the arctic circle, only I didn't have beer, or a kitchen table :(

pitching the tent was exciting...

Archived