Piako

DrWatson

flowin over it many times in a glider. you may want to do a bit of a google earth tour for low cattle bridges further up. I've seen pleny of small fizz boats Thames end. looks like it splits around paeroa, could well all feed from the karangahehe gaug and kaimis. there's a big waterfall we fly out to as well

That'd probably be the Wairere Falls in the Kaimai range, no?

I think the Waihou has problems with logs a bit further up because it's catchment is 2/3 in the bush and floods bring them down. It used to be navigable to steamers right up to Okoroiri? I think, in them olden days at least, but now I don't know.

The Piako, from google, seems to be tidal almost right up to the Kopuatai peat dome, and from there it seems to be more natural, but heavily channelised in parts also. From the air it looks like you could motor a trailer sailer (mast unstepped) as far as Maukoro landing... the name of which also suggests navigation to at least this point on this piece of muddy water and it's a good 30km inland, also close to my sister's place.

" servants of the north" by Cliff Furniss is about all I can think of that's written on it ,I'm betting though that a quick email to a local paeroa sports shop'll get you a bit of info pretty quick. Had easter 97 tied to the Thames wharf and it was a reasonable entry at high tide though the " how the f*ck did I get here" came out when looking at the channel low tide, pretty sure i clipped the 2nd shopping trolley in the north section, thoughts at the time were to do a dinghy tour beyond there and sunken trees'd be the hazard

Archived