Apprenticeship...anyone have any openings?

Scubash

Ok fellow yachties, boaties, builders and tradesmen!

I am seriously on my last leg now. I have spent a year in your beautiful country and have fallen in love with it and the Marine Industry, and lets not forget the racing as well! Slowly I am trying to get my qualifications and gain experience, but my time is up on my visa and am searching for someone to give this lady a chance to have a future here in New Zealand, but especially in the Marine Industry. :crazy: :D

Thus far I have completed the following:

STCW
    MROC
    Competent Crew
    Currently working on Boatmasters
    Worked for 2 months at Evolution Sails pre Noumea race
    Have scraped, primed and anti-fouled a 40ft wooden boat.
    Consistently help on the various boats I race on by cleaning hulls, fixing random stuff (like changing the anodes while diving or whipping the ends of ropes), going up masts (love it not afraid of heights) and anything else that I can do or be shown how to do to help out.
    Working towards getting my Ocean Yachtmasters and also want to continue to gain other qualifications like engine maintenance, power boat, etc.

RACES:

Almost all harbour races I can get a chance to do
    Coastal classic
    Commodores Cup
    BMW
    Noumea Race
    Other various races short and long distance...
    Coastal trip from Auckland down the East Coast to Bluff
    ...and a delivery from Tahiti to Auckland

I need to find someone that is willing to sponsor me so I can get another work visa to be able to stay in the country and to be able to continue my courses. I promise you wont find someone who is keener than I am. I am currently wanting to try and get an apprenticeship so I can actually gain a trade qualification. For me to go to a university it will cost me more than 3 times the amount than what a Kiwi would pay, and currently I do not have that kind of money, if not I would just do that. Although I do believe the way one really learns is on the job by doing!

I came across this yesterday and immediately phoned them: http://www.nzmarine.com/CareersApprenticeships

They say they will guide me and give me contacts, but I must find a job on my own from a company willing to let me do my apprenticeship with them. Once the apprenticeship has been offered I learn on the job and take a few evening supplement courses. I am assuming most of you already know how it works. This is all new to me.

As I have already started with sail making I have a great interest there, but that is not one that is listed on the site, although still happy to do it, I am sure there must be a way I can gain a trade qualification there. My top 3 apprenticeships that are offered by NZMarine are Marine Rigging, Composite Production Trailer Boatbuilder, and Marine Systems Engineer. Saying that, I would love to learn all the ins and outs of the Marine Industry, so I am open to anything thrown my way from building to painting to engineering.

I just need to start somewhere and for someone to give me a helping hand to get a foot in the door. :wink:

Please PM me if you think you might be able to help, rather it be a job offer or as simple as some advice! :thumbup:

Happy Sailing! :sailor:

PS. My visa expires on the 30th of August. I can apply for a visitors visa just to buy me more time, but "technically" would not be able to work until my new visa is granted. To sponsor it costs you nothing as the employer, its me the employee who has to pay. Been trying to get sponsorship working as a chef (my background), but my passion lies with the Marine Industry and this is the reason to why I am in New Zealand in the first place, so I am pushing to try and stick to my passion! I am honest and very driven, what you see is what you get..and I am sure you wont regret it if you give me a chance! :wave:

Will you marry me? :D

Honestly, with your enthusiasm and what you've achieved in such a short time, I'm surprised people aren't beating a path to your door and queueing up to offer you a job.

I'm sorry I can't oblige but good luck anyway.

I wish I could offer you some guidance or help, but I can't. Only words of encouragement. God knows our fair little country could do with more people like you. I wish you every success Scubash. :thumbup:

Will you marry me? :D

Honestly, with your enthusiasm and what you've achieved in such a short time, I'm surprised people aren't beating a path to your door and queueing up to offer you a job.

I'm sorry I can't oblige but good luck anyway.

Hahaha depends?? How old are ya? You single? :P :lol:

Haven't found THE ONE quite yet! But that may be my ticket to stay! :think: :P

Well I do wish that that were the case! It is hard to demonstrate my passion to people, but I was hopping this would work! And to think, when I first arrived I was a bit afraid of sailing...(believe it or not)...and now a total addict! :shh:

Thanks for the luck! :thumbup:

I wish I could offer you some guidance or help, but I can't. Only words of encouragement. God knows our fair little country could do with more people like you. I wish you every success Scubash. :thumbup:

Thanks a bunch AA :thumbup: , just hope the right people in the industry believe the same and someone gives me a chance! :D

I'm in my thirties... drop dead gorgeous... my wife is pretty hot too - I'll have a chat to her, see how she feels about polygamy, and get back to you!

No particularly useful help or advice coming from this corner either, but you seem to have your head & heart screwed on, so I wish you all the best!

A smart employer will "Hire for attitude - train for skill".

Attitude is everything - and you seem to have a good one!

Good luck!!

I'm in my thirties... drop dead gorgeous... my wife is pretty hot too - I'll have a chat to her, see how she feels about polygamy, and get back to you!

:think: Well if your both hot!? :shh: Maybe I would consider it too!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Or maybe you have some single mates?? :P :wink:

No particularly useful help or advice coming from this corner either, but you seem to have your head & heart screwed on, so I wish you all the best!

A smart employer will "Hire for attitude - train for skill".

Attitude is everything - and you seem to have a good one!

Good luck!!

I appreciate the encouragement! :thumbup:

Any luck on the job front yet? I would employ you.......but i dont have a company :problem:

Unfortunately not in the Marine Industry, but I have found one as a chef that still gives me my afternoons and weekends off to do all the sailing I desire!! Also means I get to stay in the country as well buying me more time! :D :thumbup: :clap:

Will have to stick to this for a while until I get my residency maybe and then I can move on to the Marine Industry. But for all you out there reading this I can always start helping and learning during my free time if anyone is willing to take me under their wing! :thumbup:

Archived