TV2, yacht rescue on right now

wheels

Just luckily caught that on TV Wheels. Amazing stuff, see the chop off the top of the waves was drenching the yacht. Interestin how the chopper was affected by the air coming off the waves. That was really skilfully done, very difficult to do it seemed. Makes me want a sea anchor!

As usual, pictures do no justification to the size of the Sea. Video included. But yes the site of the chopper going up and down with the wave made you realize just how big they were.

Righty so please edumicate me here.

Watching Coastwatch on Monday night and seeing a yacht rescue, then watching this one, I was trying to understand why neither boats could not sail out away from the coast at say a 60degree angle to the wind and a storm gyb up. We have been in this kind of sea state and got through OK, but in our situation, it was only a couple of hrs and under motor. Mondays coastwatch situation was easily what we had most of the way up the East coast on our trip to Auckland. But OK in their situation, they had a guy with a back injury, but they must have been taking a great risk being towed across the Kaipra Bar.

So all very easy for me to say, but I obviously don't understand the full story.

It's my understanding that many boats won't sail to windward at all over a certain windspeed, and couple that with big seas and the chances of making ground off a lee shore at any angle diminish incredibly.

Moreover, the grater the angle you sail at means the more abeam of the seas you are sailing, and hence the greater risk of being rolled. Coupled with with greater leeway the more beam on the wind and current gets.

A large sea anchor might help a lot better than a drogue if you have the sea room, but if not then your options are limited.

No one wants to try crossing the bar into the likes of Kaipara, Raglan, Aotea, Kawhia etc with a massive swell running. I'm not sure if it would be possible to do it with a storm jib and a series drogue to try and keep you aligned. It would be a one shot chance and you'd be taking a hell of a risk.

The yacht on coastwatch had her sails torn to ribons it seems. Plus an injury onboard and the engine not going and they looked a bit old to row! :D

As usual, pictures do no justification to the size of the Sea. Video included. But yes the site of the chopper going up and down with the wave made you realize just how big they were.

Righty so please edumicate me here.

Watching Coastwatch on Monday night and seeing a yacht rescue, then watching this one, I was trying to understand why neither boats could not sail out away from the coast at say a 60degree angle to the wind and a storm gyb up. We have been in this kind of sea state and got through OK, but in our situation, it was only a couple of hrs and under motor. Mondays coastwatch situation was easily what we had most of the way up the East coast on our trip to Auckland. But OK in their situation, they had a guy with a back injury, but they must have been taking a great risk being towed across the Kaipra Bar.

So all very easy for me to say, but I obviously don't understand the full story.

Havnt both of these rescues been explained on here by both skippers before? I know the one further south was on the homepage just after it happened.

Yes It was discussed in depth. What most people don't account for is wind driven water flow. Which in affect is like being in a tidal flow/rip down wind. A lot of boats vmg in those conditions won't make headway at all againsts it.

Yes Stephen, or at least Alan Browns experience was. But that is not what I am trying to ask. In Mr Browns situation, I think he did everything right (to the limit of my knowledge).

So as a reworded question

So lets say some of you more experienced crew are in this situation, what would you be doing to try and get yourself out of the predicament. Is there anything that should be tried? Lets say rescue was not going to be possible. So I know that if it was me out there, I would be trying every last possible even if it came down to telling the wife to hop in the water with a rope hooked up and swim. Hey she's a stronger swimmer than me and even has medals to prove it ;-) although somehow I still expect it would be me suddenly coming too with rope tied around wast and finding I was in the water. Maybe a little confused why the anchor is tied around my ankles, but I would still give it my all in a heroic attempt to save her and vessel.

[ although somehow I still expect it would be me suddenly coming too with rope tied around wast and finding I was in the water. Maybe a little confused why the anchor is tied around my ankles, but I would still give it my all in a heroic attempt to save her and vessel.

yep they can be humorless little buggers at times

Archived