Oops

SloopJohnB

Been there done that. We were on a tide grid in Alaska, the tide range about 28ft. We were busy painting when we noticed the inflatable hanging by its painter. So we added 20 ft of line and kept painting. Finished as the tide was returning so went for a shower. Came back to the boat to find the inflatable under the rudder but the boat nearly afloat. Impossible to push inflatable down, so got into the near freezing warer and let the air out. The inflatable farted and filled up with water. Then we tried to get it back on board. I discovered an inflatable full of water weighs 4 million tons. So we had to give it artificial respiration as it came up to get the water back out again. Took a bloody long time. By which time we had most of the townsfolk on the dock enjoying the spectacle. Not my finest moment.

I have seen a similar picture, but it was a yacht of around the 30ft range hanging mid air just like that by nothing more than it's cleats.

Apparently well mounted cleats. I would not like to try lifting our boat by its cleats, and Wheels, I sure would not like to life your monster by its cleats!.

I sure would not like to life your monster by its cleats!.

No I think that is asking waaaay to much of FC. The cleats might take it :wink:

I am pretty sure it was in a British sailing mag, maybe Practicle Boating or Sailor and was one of the pics they put on the last page as an oops. Several years back now. It was certainly on an English stone dock wall like that shot anyway.

Yesterday a really big Ketch ran aground just down stream from me. I was watching them run parallel to the Sand bank, which was underwater at the time, and thought yikes they don't want to get too much closer. Then they simply turned straight onto it. Or maybe the boat hit it and swung. Anyway, too far away to yell and my boat was out of action, so couldn't help. They were hard on the ground by the time the Coastgaurd arrived and somehow, I have no idea how, they swung the boat out and pulled it off. Took some pulling, but they did it. That bank is probably 2m above water at low.

Yesterday a really big Ketch ran aground just down stream from me. I was watching them run parallel to the Sand bank, which was underwater at the time, and thought yikes they don't want to get too much closer. Then they simply turned straight onto it. Or maybe the boat hit it and swung. Anyway, too far away to yell and my boat was out of action, so couldn't help. They were hard on the ground by the time the Coastgaurd arrived and somehow, I have no idea how, they swung the boat out and pulled it off. Took some pulling, but they did it. That bank is probably 2m above water at low.

Get any photos? Always amusing, others misfortune!

I had to pull someone off the mud flats behind Matakana island, near the entrance to Taylors creek a couple of years ago. They tried to follow me - I was in a jet boat, they were in a 26' foot( ish ) keeler. And didnt know what they were doing, as they left all the sails up, and all got off to push....... I suggested they rectify that situation, and pulled the boat over till the toerails were in the water with a halyard whilst they used the anchor windlass to pull them off into the channel. And they never even said thanks. Pricks.

Archived