Own up, who is/was it?

At risk of sounding like a total loonie...

Are there any subs privately owned in NZ?

I ask this in all seriousness, as I remember seeing what I'm still sure was one, leaving Whangarei heads in the late 90's while I was working at Ruakaka Beach. From memory, it looked similar in profile to the old diesel used in the film Down Periscope.

Could be the back end of the same boat. Although more likely not.

Prior to that occasion, every time a sub had been in port there had been a lot of media attention, but that time, nothing.

I'm not aware of any, and don't think I'd lost the plot back then (maybe I have by now) but I've always wondered.

Theres been a lot of Subs spotted by hunters in Fiordland apparently the US navy go there on exercises as they are pretty much un dectable in there because of the mountains etc.

Any one read the book "U-boat Long Way from Home" cool story of the only Nazi U-Boat that circumnavirgated New Zealand during the Second World War written by the Radio operator I think from memory it was U-862.

Refer thread in small talk, photo cropped to get size down to uplaod.

taken about 5pm Friday 14th Sept, in close to Westhaven heading east, barge towing a random long black thing low in the water.

P1030798 - cropped.jpg

Archived