Opinions PLEASE!! Race OD issues.

mattm

We are having a problem with the local sailing club regarding sports boats at the moment. We only  have two real sports boats, but have several other performance keelers and several others that carry gennakers also, making up a reasonable portion of our winter fleet as they are a lot of the more dedicated sailors. Several of the keeler guys have a problem with us 'whipping around' and winning on line often (although not so often on handicap now that the handicaps have caught up with us). This I'm sure will be no surprise to any of you, and is not our issue. So here it is.... In our winter series, one of said sailers has become a regular race OD.  He has the biggest issue with being beaten on line of any of the keeler guys, he has a quick keeler and sails it well, but it's no sports boat, it's just not designed to win against us on line in most conditions. However, he has been making courses that favor boats with spinnakers,  one race for example, a windward leward,  he had everyone go through the start finish line on both the upwind and downwind leg to cut down the benefit of running angles.  Then the final of the winter series was on Saturday, at briefing he announced as OD that 'we are worried the race will be too fast, so  to slow the sports boats down, we are making the island and a cardinal mark both marks of the course' the final always ends in a raft up a long way from the start, so by too fast he was meaning a reach benefitting sports boats not too quick in time, plus the extra marks didnt change the length a lot, just the angles, hard to explain without local knowledge, but i think my point is more that he is trying to do this, more than actually achieving it anyway. As a side note, the OD, 1 sports boat and two other sporty keelers were in the hunt for the $500 first prize, said OD had won the last two on handicap (funny he wanted to slow sports boats down- no prizes for line honors here)  and went on to win the final race and draw 1st equal in the series, kind sponsor doubled the first prize so they both got it.

Now my question, does this suck or am I just being a whinger? 

I don't expect special treatment, just that the OD sets the course objectively without bias, as the best course for the day/conditions. We have a handicap system that stops sports boats winning everything, we don't need a 2nd stab from the OD. 

We have a pre season skippers meeting this week to discuss things like this.

Has anyone got an opinion to share (haha), a view from the other side of the coin or outcomes from this sort of thing happening elsewhere?

Cheers

The Race Committee's actions should be fair, consistent and disinterested.

Sounds like the OD may be having trouble with that last one.

I do a bit of handicapping. Handicapping based on observed performance is I guess a necessity with our typical mixed keelboat fleets. Add in a sporty or multi and it gets interesting. In my view, for handicapping to work a mix of course types in a mix of conditions is required to 'give every dog its day' - that is, on average a boat will sail to X performance, so you have to give it the opportunity to establish that average.

We have a few sporties here, and when the conditions suit them they will take the wins. But when the conditions turn and favour the longer, heavier boats, well then they're not so good, if they even go out.

My point is, if your club is running handicap, then it needs to let your performance alone be your handicap - not give you a high tcf then also deliberately and consistently whack you with courses that don't give you the chance to sail to that handicap.

What does the NOR say about what courses will be run?

And what's wrong with giving the keelers a shy kite run or reach every now and again?

Matt if you don't like it change it,

Everyone wants someone else to do the work

So put yourself forward for the committee and put your point across so that it all works out fair,

But all you will do muttering from the side line is get people's backs up

And before you say your too busy everyone is busy and nothing gets done by no one.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Agree with both of the fine gentlemen - if you don't help and do your bit with race management it's pretty hard to complain when you don't like it. So get stuck in and help out.

Another thing we have in place that can help with some impartiality is a "Duty Officer" as well as a Race Officer, who helps with course "suggestions" as well as making a call whether we race or not given certain conditions. This may help with the perception of impartial and fairness.

That's a downside of real fast boats, unless you have a lot of them together they can make a bit of a mess of things sometimes. But as the sporty domain is generally the smallest, having to live with short courses is just part of the deal.

As to a member with conflicts. Always tricky when most are volunteers but as mentioned either step up and help or it'll just be another thing that you'll have to live with.

Yes.... If you want change, stand for the committee or put your hand up to be OD. Nowadays it is really hard to get people to help out. Easy to complain, much harder to give your time :eh:

Thanks for your thoughts. Dr Bob, I think you see where I am comming from. And I think you make a fair statement. I wouldnt want to be the handicapper in any club thats divisions are as mixed as ours, add in the weather factor and its mission impossible. The NOR is I think for round the cans or harbour races, but the final is usually from just out of the bay to a lodge a couple of hours away...

To those who suggest action is the answer, I will first say I agree. Nothing worse than a backseat cry baby. Having said that, I have been the OD a couple of times, and have done my best to set fair courses, certainly not ones that bias myself, or any others, except that windward/lewards will normally favour a racer over a cruiser.... but what are we all there for...

I have not been on the sailing commity, but as I have only been a boat owning full club member for 1 season, I though I would consider it next season when I have an idea of how things work and whats involved.

KM I have no problem with short courses, they are quite often the best, but when every boat out there has to go through the start on the way up and the way down it dosnt seem right. Although the plan backfired for the OD as we got a 40deg windshift after the start and the sports boats ruled the day. Still .. its the fact he's trying that annoys me.

Hard to say yet bene, I dont think we have both had a good day at once, I think the summer serries will tell the story, once we get consistant crews and weather. Honk'n'jack is definatly faster on the wind in 15 knots, but off the wind is still game on.

Archived