Auto pilots, What to buy

Hi there,am looking at buying an auto pilot for my 30 ft crusing cat.I am unable to fit a tiller type, so need one that will fit on my wheel or shaft that wheel sits on.

Any and all advice or experience welcome.

Cheers Pete

I took the plunge and actually bought something on line from overseas! Just the click of a few buttons, put the old credit card details in and then... waiting wating waiting! Maybe a week or so, but USPS will, I trust, be delivering to me a Simrad TP22. And at several hundred dollars cheaper than locally. (If the robbers at the border dont sting me for a bit of tax) :thumbup:

One thing was the cost of postage though. If your planning on doing this check it out as best you can... I saved myself over $100US$ on postage.... might take an extra 5 days to get here, but what the heck.

Okay, so I wont have a warrantee or whatever. I guess Ill just have to live with that.

A TP22 Simrad Wiggle stick auto driver -

US RRP US$599

into NZ at 0.79 gives us NZ$758.23

plus Clearance cost $45 so now to NZ$803.23

plus GST comes to NZ$923.71.

Assumptions - Paid the US RRP. 0.79 is probably generous and it would have been a tad worse. Only $45 charged, often it's more I'm told. You don't dodge tax.

Note no freight content. If the freight content is US$29.13 or more then bugger!!

You can buy the same unit in AKl for NZ$959.00 inc today.

If the exchange rate got was 0.78 and the clearance cost does pan out to be $58*, you are already 0.99 cents down the gurgler before you add in any freight costs.

I hope it works out for you San Fran but as the above are real numbers you are on the borderline or even worse off if they do ping you. The only way this will cost you less than buying locally is if you dodge paying the tax sorry, that's assuming you did pay the US RRP price or close to it.

They are cracking down at the border so this should get pinged. What's more the ping will be gst and maybe duty (probably knot on this item I'd think), they are also charging clearance costs i.e. to do the paperwork. * - I'd think $45 is lite so that could easily be more, we had a random last week in thru the post system and NZ Post wanted $58 for that... I think.

Don't forget all the hidden costs people. Also don't forget there is a Nat Govt and bureaucracy works a shite load harder to justify their existence when a Nat Govt hold the reigns so stuff isn't sliding ping-free thru the border like it used to.

Got mine for $485.00 (US) and $99 postage

:D :D :D

So if Customs take the GST and whoever charges $50 odd for a clearance it will be the same price as the one in the Westhaven shop. If Customs don't you have been very lucky as that is well over their NZ$400 threshold.

Name Code Qty Each Options

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Simrad TP22 Tiller c16714 1 489.00 Our Discount = (-$50.00)

Autopilot ( Up To 36' And

11000Lbs)

(Shipped)

USPS Tracking Number: EC

982 120 965 US

Subtotal 489.00

Shipping 99.00

Tax 0.00

Total 588.00

Archived