float switches

Steve Pope

Just found that the float switch on the engine room bilge pump isn't doing its thing anymore. I am aware that this isn't unusual with the std types that are available from most chandleries. Does anyone know of a remote type that is in production. OR any ideas on how to best make one so the electrics don't get immersed in water.

Have seen rule brand inuse in the 2 vessels for over 10 years - out of the 10 units between the 2 vessels only one failure - that was cause by someone stepping on it I was told. They do not get wet that often but do get immersed in hydraulic oil from time to time - they are used as an alarm rather thn to activate a pump, but can be used to activate a pump.

They get tested often as per SSM requirements.

Steve I have constant issues with the bilge switch i my engine room. Oily water seems to make them sticky. So I am going to lift the switch clear of the water and use a small diameter PVC pipe with a smaller rod inside and a foot that floats. So as the water rises, the float rises, lifts the rod or smaller pvc pipe and it lifts the floatswitch

http://www.skimoil.com/oilsmart_switches.htm

Oil won't damage these at all, indeed, I degreased the bilges and it stopped turning off as per how it should. Found that it only worked correctly again after having oil rubbed on it!.

They appear to last very very well in my experience. Not sure where in NZ you get them from, and yes, they are expensive, but then, they are responsible for assisting in keeping your boat from sinking should a mild leak develop. And I am sure your boats are far more valuable!.

I degreased the bilges and it stopped turning off as per how it should. Found that it only worked correctly again after having oil rubbed on it!.

Confused at what you mean. So, it kept running the pump or ???

I tried two electronic types. One similar to this where it has probes, but the oil can stop it sensing. The other was the Feild effect and it had just as many problems. So hence going back to the float type but having it above water level.

I degreased the bilges and it stopped turning off as per how it should. Found that it only worked correctly again after having oil rubbed on it!.

Confused at what you mean. So, it kept running the pump or ???

I tried two electronic types. One similar to this where it has probes, but the oil can stop it sensing. The other was the Feild effect and it had just as many problems. So hence going back to the float type but having it above water level.

Once I degreased it, it would continue to run the pump for a good 10 minutes once it should have turned off. I was told that I had to oil the housing. And it worked fine again afterwards.

And whats more, I was not told to use snake oil on it! :D

That's weird.

Thats what I thought, but the instructions for it actually clearly state "this device needs a thin coating of oil to operate correctly".

If you do manage to dump your diesel into the bilge, it wont turn on. Nor if the bilges are only filled with oil. But it will monitor water under the oil, and pump that out, but not the oil. Apparently.

Archived