Credit where credit is due

With all the drama going on in the marine industry at the mo I would like to start a thread to give credit to the good guys in the industry. I'll go first.

I've just finished repowering my boat with a new Nani 21 :thumbup: I purchased the engine from general marine services. Awesome service and they helped out with the install and saved me a bucket load. Can't recommend them highly enough :thumbup:

I also had a new shaft and seals made from chatfields marine and they were also exellent to deal with and well priced :thumbup:

Any one else had good experiences lately?

ovlov marine

Look after manly sailing club really well.

we've used them for years servicing our outboards. last year I did a check between them and 2 other north shore based boat shops on price and ovlov were 1/3 cheaper for the same service.

reece has just won yamaha service man of the year too.

top guys

There are some really helpful people in the industry. Attitude and honesty makes a huge difference.

- Reg at 121 marine always been really helpful

- Cam at Cam's automotive and marine (outboards)

- Rodney at evolution sails

- MEC marine (coppercoat)

- KM and The boys at chains ropes and anchors

- Phil at Ovlov pine hatbour for a great engine install at the agreed price and on time.

Just to name a few.

Unfortunately I have just as many I wouldn't use again......

I was impressed with the boys at Bretts Marine. Gave me a scary large quote to fix my outboard, I thought about buying a new one, but went ahead and got it fixed (no spare funds). Actual price was a few hundy (about 20%) under the estimate. How often does THAT happen?

The best thing about Bretts Marine was the head cheese was one of them dudes who always reeked of diesel as he was a dirty smelly fizz nasty lover. Now with some intensive counselling combined with fancy 'Alcohol Therapies' from the management of The V Team, now thing-a-ma-bob I can't remember a F1220, said head cheese has seen the light and come over to the true path of enlightenment and joy to spend a lot more time under sail cloth :thumbup:

Dam! I love it, something positive for a change. I Work for a marine shop that I won't name as everybody hates Marine shops (@#%^ Burglars) and I sometimes fear for my safety such are the vehement comments passed on by our delightful customers. In fact the other day one customer told me that I alone out of the whole bunch of @#^& am actually doing a good job. I took exception to this as I try my best not to.

But It is Great to see positive affirmation and I hope that you are passing it on to the staff at these companies ( Not to KM as his head is big enough)

OK, here's my list. (Had a lot of work done on the Marshall!!):

North Sails. Everyone likes to say that they're expensive, but I reckon the multiple repairs and re-cuts they have done for me have been very reasonable. The 25% off deal has been great, and to top it off, the canvas/covers division do an excellent quality job that you would associate with the brand, at a cost WAY LESS than what I paid at a North Shore establishment for some cockpit cushions and a kite pole cover. What's more, when the Marshall Law stickers came off the boom cover after only a few months, they replaced them no questions asked, even though this work was out-sourced. The team over there could not be more helpful. Thanks Josh, Bushy, Phil and co

James Nilsson winches: Opened up over Christmas to rebuild the Marshall's halyard winch. Top blokes. Thanks Grant!

Boat Spray: Had a couple of jobs done by these guys. All quality, and again, so helpful. Craig, thanks.

Doyles Rigging: Got the Marshall's mast replaced and sorted in time for the Christmas break and fixed a lot of the little teething problems I had (some outside their control by third parties) without any quibble at all. Onya Richard.

Mariner Insurance: First year I have the boat and I claim a mast... :sick: :sick: :sick: They covered it and re-insured me, and not at a crazy rate either. Thanks Aaron and the team.

Safety at Sea: No complaints about Jono's service and advice. Always prepared to let you know what you need to get up to that Cat 3, 2, 1 compliance.

Chains Ropes and Anchors: I'd better put a plug in for the team there. They really are C.R.A.P. :D :D Despite the load of bollocks KM comes out with, he does a great job at a good price.

So out of all the people I have had work on the boat in Auckland I have had only 3 bad experiences. One was with a refrigeration company, and to be fair, they had a rubbish technician. Once they sent a good guy, the job was done well, and the price semi OK.

The other was with a marine canvas place, whose prices were just completely over the top. I won't be going back.

I bought a hand held VHF from a parallel importing place that was along Westhaven drive. The unit malfunctioned, then I couldn't find them as they had disappeared. Got it fixed at Safety at Sea.

So despite KM getting depressed about the number of rogues in the marine industry, I reckon they are not too bad. What's more, I got to know most of these companies through Crew.org... And will continue working with companies and tradesmen mentioned and advertising on here.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Global Yacht Finishers - the painters out at Westpark Marina are awesome, i had an antifoul booked with them and they called me 3 days before to ask if i still wanted to come out because the weather forecast was looking Sh*t and they didnt want me to just sit on the hard stand chewing up fees for no reason!

I came out the following week, my antifoul was done, they gave the old girl a cut & polish, a few touch ups and i was back in the water in no time. They stuck to their price and did a really nice job. Im going to get them to repaint my girl soon! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Archived