SSB

Duty Free

Hello all,

I have just bought a boat with a SSB and will need it in a race shortly ----l appreciate there are views on Satphones v SSB but what l'm intetested in is learning more about its operation /licencing /testing etc .

I have a restricted radio operator licence and have used VHF for years but have never used a SSB before --l have a full manual (and have opened it believe it or not !!) but am intetested in frequencies , operating procedures , who l can call to test it etc .

Any advice, helpful hints etc would be much appreciated

Thanks

Andrew

Its all on the internet Andrew, but you will need a SSB REGISTERED callsign. You can not use one of the "over the counter" VHF ones. The radio needs to be inspected and approved. Current conditions for long distant HF are abysmal (seems there is something wrong with our sun right now!)

I would seriously suggest going amateur radio. Easy license test and it gives you so much more to play with! (satellite / packet etc). HF night time ground wave propagation is still ok out to about 5000km.

I just bought a boat with SSB and there is a high probablility it will sit there taking up space till I remove it. Not racing though so not under pressure. Good luck and keep us informed, sse if you can convince me it is worth turning on.

License.

You need an RRTOC. Coastguard Boating Education will assist, although it is a Ministry of Commerce requirement (forgive me if I'm a tad out of date with terminology). Your VHF operators ticket is for that only

This will teach you lots.

SSB

Check your set up.

If its a newer one it is a simple matter of checking what crystals are installed in the 2/4/6/8 meg range. Look online to see what frequencies the various Fiji and Noumea races used for the skeds.

Radio Test

Call up Taupo Maritime Radio. They are the head base for HF radios.

This should all be a good start.

A general radio operators certificate is for VHF and SSB, was easy and useful to do when I did mine a few years ago with the CG, you can apply for your MMSI number and get a call sign for both VHF and SSB at the same time, not hard just a couple of hours of your time.

Below is a cut'n'paste from the RSM website.

It would now seem that all you need under the GUL system now is

a callsign??? At one time, VHF callsigns were NOT registered on HF

..now I am totally confused!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

----------------------------------------------

Maritime certificates and callsigns

Radio transmissions in the maritime radio service are covered by the General User Radio Licence for Maritime Purposes which requires a callsign.

Examinations for Radio Operator Certificates are conducted by Approved Radio Examiners. The various certificates are registered by the Ministry online as the examiner grants the certificate.

Callsigns including MMSI are available from Approved Radio Examiners who can issue these online.

Once callsigns, MMSI or certificates are granted online by an Approved Radio Examiner they are available to be searched online in the Register of Radio Frequencies (SMART).

Link to: http://www.rsm.govt.nz/cms/licensees/ty ... e-purposes

Link to: http://www.rsm.govt.nz/cms/engineers-an ... -examiners

Archived