LED Lights

CleoGerten

Hello CleoGerten

If you can give a few more details:

Are you wanting to change a stern light and a mast head light?

Just the bulb, or change the whole unit?

There are plenty of more experienced punters on this board than me, but if you make your question very clear, you will get very clear answers.

Welcome.

M

You will have to check the regulations

You also need to find an LED light that has 360 degree glow.

Most LED lights only shine in one direction

I Was trying to do the same with my one but it all got a bit hard

Good luck :)

Yes, you can get led lights that fit most fittings. However, often its better to replace the fitting with a properly designed LED lit enclosure, which whilst not cheap, will last, will be the correct power level for the sized boat and will be durable. Some information I have had from people in the trade is that fitting a led replacement to a fitting designed for incandescent can result in the additional weight of the led "bulb" ( vrs the thin glass and filament/filament supports ) damaging the bulb holder over time. I personally never have seen this happen, but maybe because I simply choose to put the correct fittings on when I went to led's, or, I was being told porkies :)

Good quality led powered fittings such as the Hella Marine gear is very very good quality, but as noted prior, not cheap!. They last near on forever, draw very little power, and generally are superior in all ways.

.....you can get Led replacement globes. BUT be aware that some LED globes that are sold for marine use change a Green tinted lens to a BLUE light output !!

You need to either use the correct white type or an actual green LED....

.....but they do work well and save heaps of power if you do a lot of night passages.

Archived