Weather by satphone

Wayne-o

Will be sailing round nz after Christmas and using an iridium satphone (no ssb). Keen on hearing advice about best approach to weather forecasts, grub files etc that won't break the bank by using too many minutes.

Cheers

That's tough, Iridium is bloody slow with data.

Worth talking to Predict Wind, they have some new gear for receiving sat weather & I believe the price has comedown a lot over the last year or so.

Check out the web site for a bit of info,

Maritime Radio VHF 16 was good upto at least 30nm from the coast in the RNZ

And where you can't get it in harbours you can usually get the local fishermans radio.

Get a vodaphone usb stick or use a smart phone. Between that and the VHF you should be pretty much covered. And if all else fails ring someone on the sat phone and ask them. The email via sat phone mite be bit of a hassle for just cruising around the nz coast. you need to subscribe to a email service like Xgate and use a router/firewall to only allow internet access to xgate.

Sounds like a mission! :thumbup:

If you are stopping by Christchurch (Lyttleton) on the way back up the east coast, I am happy to help you out if you need anything. Just PM me and I'll flick you some contact details.

Archived