Bosuns chair or climbing harness?

Grinna

Which is preferred for going up the rig and potentially working up there for a while?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which is preferred for going up the rig and potentially working up there for a while?

• Traditional type bosun's chair
    • Climbing harness
    • Other (please explain)

You've confused me Send It .... are you saying you can or you can't fall out of climbing harnesses?

I would have thought you can't easily fall out of a harness whereas any inverted aerial acrobatics could see you fall out of a bosuns chair.

Grinna

you can fall out of a harness. have seen it happen at a climbing wall in wales.

D'oh!! .. no edit button. Just to clarify my previous comment .... I'm not planning on any inverted aerial antics up the mast. I don't really want to spend a lot of time up there or do anything heroic .... there was a time when I would (and have) free climb a mast ... well at least to the spreaders anyway, but I'm somewhat smarter these days. I'm looking for a secure and comfortable way to get up the rig to inspect, repair and replace stuff when necessary.

OK, so it is possible to fall out of a harness. That's one kind of adventure I'll quite happily pass on. A swan dive from the mast head to the deck is more excitement than this kid can handle. Any words of advice on avoiding that happening?

My experience with bosun's chairs is that any kind of climbing with one on is like trying to climb a mast with a massive (full) nappy that has a piece of 4x2 in it sideways strapped to your butt (i.e. bloody difficult) .... however, there is generally a lot of whining and squealing from down below if you sit there like King Tut and expect to be hauled to the mast head .... most of that noise is from the sucker operating the winch.

I'm liking the idea of having both available to me.

Ha.

What?

You HELP?

I am getting a real bum deal here I can see that now. I have to WINCH Himself ALL the way up the mast.

Grrr - he must be laughing in his bosuns chair . . .

I've got mast steps and just shinny up and when at the top I attach a safety lead. I'm not going to let go!! But mines only 11 metres high which is nothing compared to some here. I find the bosun's chair a literal pain in the ass. I've tried a few times and its a bit like medieval torture rack. Besides I'm never sure my wife will stay friends for that long! :D She has a way of throwing the baby out with the bathwater if She gets the shits so being in the menopausal "cringe" stage of life no thanks. :lol:

Archived