Anchor Chain testing

Island Time

Here is an interesting link

Pity the results are not available yet, and you need Jan edition of Yaching mothly to find out! KM will be interested in your take on this.

In the test they have not mentioned (yet) the waisting of the links - meaning they no longer fit the chain gypsy... long before actual failure.

I know Vyv and chat, in fact a lot of the info he has on his site is from me.

Yes IT, he should be sussing the deformation loads or at least sussing what's happening before the Proof load or in some cases sussing where the proof load area is. I don't know if he did or knot so shall ask.

The break load isn't that important really, especially these days of wildly varying manufacture quality. There is the odd bit of random breaking stuff on the market here but knot as much as there was. Now it has lots of stuff 'engineered' in a 1st world country but built in a 3rd world. Interestingly if I was a citizen of that 1st world country I'd be pretty damn pissed off we couldn't engineer stuff any better than the 3rd world country it's built in.

The 2 important questions the punters need to ask is 'What is the Proof Load?' and 'Where is it made?'. The 2nd question will show how accurate the answer to the 1st question will be. If they can't answer the 1st question the 2nd question is pretty irrelevant really.

Mind you many selling chain in NZ have no idea what they are selling. It's sad really as what helps keep you alive while you're asleep?

The other complaint we have from those that have bought Chinese Chains is that the Galv gave about 18mnths protection and then the Chain rusts. After 2yrs, it is a pile of rust, not just "looking tired" like the good chains do.

Archived