Genoa sheets catching on mast cleats

ab1974

My halyards all come down to winches on the mast and run through spinlock clutches. When we tack if we allow the genoa to flog then there is a half reasonable chance one of the sheets will catch around a clutch.

Obvious solution (prevention better than cure) is to get the tacks better. However I am looking for a solution that will work shorthanded and prevent the sheets getting caught.

Could install some stainless curved rails around the clutches so the ropes don't have a sharp endge to catch on or rig some sort of rope system from above the clutches on the mast out to the front of the genoa track and have the sheets go outside the rope.

Any tried and tested solutions??

Got a piccie of the clutches in position? I often have inexperienced crew on board and this was also a problem for me.

Solved it with bungy and a suitably "adjusted" cheap plastic bucket............ drill holes either side thru bucket near base of bucket, adjust (with knife/saw/other implement of torture) to shape of offending clutch, thread bungy thru said hole with clips on outer ends to attach to, umh, something, flip bucket over and cover clutch. Bungy is very close to base of flipped over bucket so lines don't catch as they bounce off bungy.

Not pretty but works perfectly. :thumbup:

Bit hard to give a solution without seeing where everything is.................

Having said that, I don't have a piccie of my solution. Will get one tomorrow and post.

Similar to Tim, lead a light line or bungy forard from the highest cleat or clutch to anywhere convenient. Set it up on the way out and all is good. I tried many hi tech solutions including repositioning exit boxes etc until I got sensible and did this.

Here's the photo of a $2 plastic paint bucket attached by bungy/hooks to the toe rail.

Sits over the windlass which forever catches genny sheets when we don't tack well. Which is often :lol:

Cheap as chips but works well. No idea what life was like before plastic and bungy.................. :roll: :roll:

bucket.jpg

Archived