h 28 for cruising

If it's wooden then it will probably be older, particularly as it's a ketch. Without knowing anything at all about the particular boat, an older wooden boat will require more intensive ongoing maintenance than a glass one. I'm not saying that glass boats are maintenance free, as they have different issues, such as pox if they've been around long enough. But in general H28's are a well found boat. You don't hear anyone who's ever owned one saying bad things about them. They'll never set your hair on fire in the speed stakes, but they won't bite you in the arse either. Pends what you want. Bang for buck cruising? Good boats. Are there better boats? Sure but they'll probably cost more.

I was strongly advised to go for a Nova over an H28 when I was buying a boat and I don't regret following that advice. On a broad reach she'll keep up with a Davidson 28, Maurauder and even give a Carpenter 29 a run for her money. Upwind I'll have to wait for my new genoa to make a fair comparison. The H28 rig is pretty small and they are very slow in the light. The Nova is also a very sea-kindly boat and will take the rough stuff better than most 28 footers.

My biggest complaint - she's pretty narrow and has a shallow stern so not much space.

I heard somewhere that more H28s have done cirmcumnaviations than any other design of yacht. I wonder if this is true.

Archived