Is Kerikeri basin navigable at all tides?

SanFran

My chart doesnt go in that far. I draw 1.4m and need to know if can I get up to the stone store wharf (and out again) at any tide? Need to pick up crew flying in. Cheers.

No its not if you're coming in on a yacht with non retractable keel.. If you want to go up to the stone store wharf you need to wait for high tide.

Inlet >> High tide tomorrow 12th Jan peaks at 08h34am and again at 08h53pm.

Good place to anchor overnight is blacksmiths bay. There are a couple of moorings there that have not been used for years now & Ive seen a few yachts picking up unused moorings from time to time with no complaints from their owners that Im aware of. I can see this anchorage moorings from my home so am well aware of its lack of use. One of those moorings is for my use but I anchor on a swing mooring at apple tree bay at the club instead for ease of access.

The channel to enter the kerikeri river is about 700m>>1000m from blacksmiths anchorage

Mooring alongside kerikeri yacht club wharf during the day only with power and fresh water access. Showers and toilets available below club office. New world and countdown in town centre. :thumbup:

It might be easier if your crew arrange for a taxi to drop them at the kerikeri cruising club . ( Mid north shuttles- 0800 21 21 03 )

If you're really stuck & I am still available ( currently on leave) I'd be happy to pick up your crew and drop off at the cruising club. :D

Hey thats fantastic. Many thanks. Im still in Auckland though, but intending to head north around 26th, to arrive 28th. My crew (the wife... only sails when the wind is below 5 knots) will hopefully fly in around the 29th. I think theres an afternoon flight.

The high tide is at 10am (Russell).... is there an offset time for Kerikeri? I may contact you, Sealegs to see if, after picking my wife up (me, not you) I may have to overnight in the Keri inlet somewhere, before catching the high tide on the 30th justbefore mid day to get out to BOI.

I have a mate who lives in Waipapa so it might be a great time to catch up.

Nick

Hey thats fantastic. Many thanks. Im still in Auckland though, but intending to head north around 26th, to arrive 28th. My crew (the wife... only sails when the wind is below 5 knots) will hopefully fly in around the 29th. I think theres an afternoon flight.

The high tide is at 10am (Russell).... is there an offset time for Kerikeri? I may contact you, Sealegs to see if, after picking my wife up (me, not you) I may have to overnight in the Keri inlet somewhere, before catching the high tide on the 30th justbefore mid day to get out to BOI.

I have a mate who lives in Waipapa so it might be a great time to catch up.

Nick

Hi Nick.

There is about 1 minute difference between kerikeri and russel according to Tides4fishing.com http://www.tides4fishing.com/nz/northland/kerikeri

I start work again on the 23rd Jan so we might miss each other. I'll know for sure once I see my new shift roster when I get back.

Im confused. when you say "overnight in the inlet" , are you not going to sleep on your boat anchored in the inlet? or do you plan to leave your boat somewhere along the river channel and sleep on land and then leave the 30th at high tide?

Not sure what the best plan is, but I like the idea of Andrea getting herself to the Keri Cruising Club... or thereabouts (rather than me going up river to Keri basin, and being stuck between tides there... albeit a thing that might be pleasant and a 'todo' thing to stay at such a historic place)... Is there somethere to tie up there, or anchor swing room?

The preferred option might be:

I booked her flight in which arrives just after 5pm (30th) so I guess she could be near KCC by 5.30 to 6? Is there road access to Blacksmiths Bay (which would possibly be the best anchorage for me to collect her from) or would it be best at KCC? Is there a public area I spend a bit of the afternoon (on board) at KCC marina waiting for her... then go to maybe Opito Bay or Blacksmiths?

(Im a member at BBYC so I dont know if that means anything reciprocating club-wise).

May of course be somewhat weather dependant... but Im sure there will be no worries there.

Nick

Not sure what the best plan is, but I like the idea of Andrea getting herself to the Keri Cruising Club... or thereabouts (rather than me going up river to Keri basin, and being stuck between tides there... albeit a thing that might be pleasant and a 'todo' thing to stay at such a historic place)... Is there somethere to tie up there, or anchor swing room?

The preferred option might be:

I booked her flight in which arrives just after 5pm (30th) so I guess she could be near KCC by 5.30 to 6? Is there road access to Blacksmiths Bay (which would possibly be the best anchorage for me to collect her from) or would it be best at KCC? Is there a public area I spend a bit of the afternoon (on board) at KCC marina waiting for her... then go to maybe Opito Bay or Blacksmiths?

(Im a member at BBYC so I dont know if that means anything reciprocating club-wise).

May of course be somewhat weather dependant... but Im sure there will be no worries there.

Nick

Hi Nick

I think the best plan would be for her to get to kk cruising club and get on board there.

Im not too sure about the swing swing room at the stone store. I do know there is very limited room with only pile moorings running all along the river. I have seen bigger yachts than my H28 go up there at high tide but Im not sure where they tied up or even if they did for an overnight stay. You might take a chance and cruise up giving yourself enough time to return on the same tide if no anchorage?

Unfortunately there is no public road access to blacksmiths bay. Access is completely blocked by private land. Besides its a tidal beach area so if the tides out you will not get near the land using a dingy without sinking into the mud first.

Your best plan would be to cruise to the kk club and tie up alongside the public wharf on the eastern side of the marina which is immediately visible as you approach. There will be boats on swing moorings right next to this wharf. (this is Apple tree Bay) ( SEE PIC 1 )

I always try and tie up as far away from the boat ramp as possible as it can get busy at that end. You may remain there at the public wharf as long as you want during daylight hrs but you cannot stay there overnight.( The club was obligated to provide public access for boat launching etc in order to obtain resource consent. This fact is not publicly advertised of course ) :lol:

For fuel you enter inside between the *red port marker buoy & pile moorings on your port and the public wharf & berths on your starboard and as you pass the last row of berths the fuel and fresh water bowser is on you right and you can tie up port or starboard on the fuel jetty which is just big enough for one boat each side. Space is limited so you would have to reverse towards the pile moorings when fueled up then turn and exit bow first.

*( Look closely at the picture of the wharf and you can see the red marker buoy just to the left of the end of the wharf.) The 3rd pic shows the top view / rear of the mariner towards the fuel bowser.

Here's an idea.... :idea: Phone the club to see if a berth is available for rent which sometimes is the case at this time of the year. A 10m boat is $24 per night in peak + $2 per night for power .This berth could work as a home base to sail from if the wind picks up over 5 kn :wink:

Rates and contact here:

http://www.kerikericruisingclub.org.nz/ ... ental.html

There is a restaurant at the club. Good food @ low costs.Contact club to obtain opening times during season.

For night anchor...If you look immediately south from the marina wharf there are moorings on the opposite side of the club (south ) / inlet where some boats do anchor but I think blacksmiths bay is your most reliable bet. Its just 1000 mtr further inwards and quiet with zero traffic on a mud bottom. As I said previously there are unused moorings there about 3 or 4 in a row running towards motutapu islet. Remain on the E / SE , southern or south western side of motutapu islet The northern side gets too shallow at low tide for your draft and the NE side has a shallow reef hazard marked on the charts & also has a tall thin pole sticking up above water level not visible at night.

Opito bay is very crowded and you would be forced to seek anchorage further out from the moorings which puts you directly into the path of passing traffic and fizz boat wakes etc.

Send me your contact number (pm ) closer to the time and I shall call you before I leave work at 5pm on the 30th to establish if your wife got a lift from the airport to the club. I can make a pass after work at the airport and pick her up and one other if need be. My wife travels with me to work so space for 2 passengers with limited luggage for 4 door hatch. The airport & cruising club is on our way home.

If all goes well with her lift and you're still at the wharf by 5.30 pm I can come to the wharf and say g'day to you both. 8)

public wharf KK cruising club.jpg

wharf.jpg

top view kk cc.jpg

I take it that you also work at local i-site and public relations office of Kerikeri! :lol: Great to get the local knowledge... and theres always a rum or 3 to be had on SanFran any time of the day!

Barry and I are going to take 3-4 days to idle up to BOI. Then Andrea flies in (cabin baggage only!) at 5.05pm. It might be good to sample the local fare at KKCC in the meantime until her arrival. I appreciate the offer for the ride for her... but you dont have to wait around, she's a resourceful girl having tripped around the world a bit herself... I will keep you posted with phone numbers etc if its not too much bother.

How often do you get out to enjoy your playground? I last sailed in BOI in my early 20's on a mates 1020. That was just under half my lifetime ago, so am very eager to revisit, see new haunts.

Three years ago just after I bought Sanfran I chartered a H28 in Queen Charloette sounds. Had a great week enjoying the sights there with the family.... They are a great and sturdy/safe and confortable boat... I just needed an extra inch or 2 or headroom!

I take it that you also work at local i-site and public relations office of Kerikeri! :lol: Great to get the local knowledge... and theres always a rum or 3 to be had on SanFran any time of the day!

Barry and I are going to take 3-4 days to idle up to BOI. Then Andrea flies in (cabin baggage only!) at 5.05pm. It might be good to sample the local fare at KKCC in the meantime until her arrival. I appreciate the offer for the ride for her... but you dont have to wait around, she's a resourceful girl having tripped around the world a bit herself... I will keep you posted with phone numbers etc if its not too much bother.

How often do you get out to enjoy your playground? I last sailed in BOI in my early 20's on a mates 1020. That was just under half my lifetime ago, so am very eager to revisit, see new haunts.

Three years ago just after I bought Sanfran I chartered a H28 in Queen Charloette sounds. Had a great week enjoying the sights there with the family.... They are a great and sturdy/safe and confortable boat... I just needed an extra inch or 2 or headroom!

All good. the offer still stands . I dont get to enjoy this area as often as I would like too. Firstly because of work commitments and 2nd the weather is NOT really as advertised as "the winter less north" ??. I just returned from a trip to the Otago region. We drove there & back approximately 3900km and I experienced the best weather in NZ on the south island since last summer. Got back on thursday night having decided to drive non stop from wellington to KK and its been hot here since which is a surprise to us all. Ive still got a few days left so I plan to go out for a sail this week sometime weather permitting but I also planned to do some modification work on the engine cooling system plumbing so that when completed would enable me to flush the salt from the engine within minutes and store the engine in glycol solution when not in use any time I want to. I described this plan to wheels on another forum.

This weather finally enables me to do just that but I must tell you, everytime we see a cloud forming we have our doubts about how long the sun will stay around.

Speaking of queen charlotte sounds ...what a beautiful place that is. In fact the whole south island just takes your breath away. Our trip south was to establish the possibility of moving down there (otago) and my growing concern was whether to leave the yacht here in BOI , sell it or take to south island. Dunedin area does not look good for sailing so would leaving it at Picton / queen charlotte sounds be a more viable option?

Havelock and the Pelorus sounds appeared to be another option but I looked at the charts of the area and it seems to be a bit shallow in many places with very limited options for mooring long term & lets not forget that wind coming across from the strait!!

I dont know what would be best at this stage so lots to consider.

Perhaps some one on this forum with local knowledge of the sounds / south island sailing could share their knowledge /opinion? :think:

The wellington harbour /cook strait is just a plain nightmare I think to even consider sailing in but perhaps that thought is due to my lack of experience of those conditions.

That whole area ie wellington/the sounds is just so different to the BOI sailing it almost like being in another country.

I hope you have good weather for your sailing up here.Its looking very good at the moment with not much of a wind blowing in the inlet. 8)

Well, Sealegs, that surprises me... weather wise. But we all hear about the (hopefully) very occasional weather bomb that hits northland. Blame it all on the global warming, maybe. Yes, Marlborough Sounds is beautiful... albeit a day with wind/water spouts and having to take shelter a couple of years ago when we were there (mid summer)... Just added to the excitement, I say!

Sorry, I cant comment about any mooring availability in that neck of the woods, though. Theres the marina near Picton, but just sooo many bays all around. Truely one of the most beautiful areas for cruising... though Id like to compare with BOI beofre committing!

I will PM you before I leave Auckland, however an old scool buddy fom Waipapa way wants to meet and greet, and a catch up with dinner at the club... I think he even may be a member there (Sean McC... if you know others at the club). Though would certainly be great to see you for a coldie at KKCC too!

I dont really know many people from the club. Faces I recognise from the neighbourhood but dont know anyone really. I chat to them anyway if an d when opportunity arises.

Yep! a coldie on the day sounds like a damn fine idea... :thumbup: see you then.

Archived