Fiji to Noumea? Anyone with advise on getting a boat ready?

Taniwha

I'm looking at doing the Akl to Noumea race in 2014 and looking for some advice in regards to preparation.

The boat has been Cat 1 in the past previous to me owning it, so i'm sure there's going to bit that needs doing in order to get it there but im sure it's doable.

To give you an idea of where the boats at, It's a very sound 31ft warwick currently called sunday sun from the bay of islands, I think i'll need to get the SSB and associated gear, flares, liferaft, dan bouy, sea anchor, possibly change my lifelines to new cat 1 standard and a few other bits and pieces. Some im hoping to borrow for the trip, like the ssb and other things i'll buy.

My question therefore is does anyone have a very rough idea what it would cost to enter a boat like mine in the race and what are the other costs that ill need to think about once i get there like mooring, insurances ect.

I know it's a bit of a open ended question, im just trying to get my head around what i need t think about.

Very open question

$10k to 100k

Best place to start is a chat with your ynz inspector

Just because your boat has been cat 1 before it depends on how long ago

As regs have changed plus and you may need to remove your keel and rudder plus you would want all your rigging both standing and running to be less than 10 yrs old

As for ssb unless you are familiar with using a plus your boat has an earth and arial setup already then a sat ph is your best option.

The good news is your starting early and the only one that will stop you is yourself

Good luck.

Thanks for the tip on the inspector and Ill look into dropping the keel and rudder,

I've done the course for using ssb, and the boat has the earth for it but if i can go a sat phone and don't require both i agree it would be a better option.

cheers mate

Don't hesitate to pm me if you get to a point were you need more ideas

It's a lot like eating an elephant, break it down into mouth size bites

I'm off to Panama in a few weeks to sail via Galapagos to the Marquases and will be gone for 6 weeks but there are plenty on here that know there stuff,

just ignore the knockers and gunners.

Archived