Consents granted for 94-hectare Far North marine farm

banaari

Seems that the prospect of additional jobs is regarded - at least by political leaders of most flavours in the Far North - as more important than any other factor. Not sure how widely that is shared by the voters.

As a minor point:

...[the] fully developed farm will also require a bond of $132,000 to help enable the clean-up and restoration of the site “should the operation cease at some stage in the future”.

Would not have thought that amount would have gone very far in the eventuality that it is needed - the Far North does have direct experience of cleanup issues with the BOI oyster farms.

Is this the Kingfish farm?

No, that one's still in progress.

I received a letter a few weeks ago telling me that the whole process has been extended and the applicant has been requested to provide a raft of additional reports.

Seems that the prospect of additional jobs is regarded - at least by political leaders of most flavours in the Far North - as more important than any other factor. Not sure how widely that is shared by the voters.

I think the numbers speak for themselves on that one. Surprised that NRC take no notice of public opinion though? Erm, no.

Decisions on resource consents aren't a number of submissions game. You can have 1000's on your side but if you don't have compelling arguments / evidence to support your position you're dog tucker (usually).

261 opposing submissions from 150,000 = 0.17% and therefore is not public opinion.

Just say'n! :D

Archived