Classic yacht help

Jon

My now departed father inlaw made this model in Auckland in the 1940s

He told me it was a model of an A class I think

After looking through my books could it be Rewhiti ?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The problem with pond yachts modelled on real yachts is that (in order to sail effectively) the hull must be distorted (i.e. added draft) to allow for relative wind speed. That is, you can miniturize the boat, but you can't miniturize the conditions under which it will be required to sail (wind speed and pressure).

I'm sure one of our naval architect forum members could come up with a more profound and learned explanation than that. But the bottom line is that your ship may well be Rawhiti from the waterline up, as you can see, her underwater profile is exaggerated.

The problem with pond yachts modelled on real yachts is that (in order to sail effectively) the hull must be distorted (i.e. added draft) to allow for relative wind speed. That is, you can miniturize the boat, but you can't miniturize the conditions under which it will be required to sail (wind speed and pressure).

I'm sure one of our naval architect forum members could come up with a more profound and learned explanation than that. But the bottom line is that your ship may well be Rawhiti from the waterline up, as you can see, her underwater profile is exaggerated.

Here are several examples http://classicyacht.org.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=539

Very cool thing to have. To know what boat it is you really have to have an idea of if there was a particular family link to one of the big 4.. crewed on ,family ownership or he just plain liked it.

But putting that aside, given that Rawhiti was effectively an Australian boat which spent all its early life in Sydney and was changed to bermudan pronto when it came back here late 40's or so, I'd take a punt on Ariki.

She never left , was always gaff and was high profile as a top performer most of her racing life.

Yes John B I think you could be correct

The bowsprit setup is the same as Ariki and not Rawhiti

He was a engineer so would have got these details correct

Will follow up on the family connection side, i know he sailed M class as a lad and worked down on Beaumont st.

To be fair Danaide, The gammon iron was not put back on Rawhiti in the same form as it would have been originally.(As far as I know)

Looking at the 4 hulls

Rainbow 50 ft, lots of sheer.

Iorangi 52 ish, distinctive bow, less sheer and fuller bow and stern sections

Rawhiti 54, lovely hull, probably less radical than Iorangi but quite delicate compared to Ariki

Ariki, 54 ,what you'd call a powerful hull.. sort of generally fuller with I recall as a longer w/l, and able to carry her sail longer.

So the model's bow sort of makes me think Rawhiti but the context leans me towards Ariki as I said earlier.

You could pop over to bayswater and look at both boats.

Archived