A better design on Rope Clutches - Survey

JeroenM

Hello, my name is Jeroen.

I'm doing a survey that is regarding the completion of my master project at the Hague University, studying Industrial Product Design at the Composail project in the Netherlands.

A problem that is common is the wear that occurs to both the lines as the rope clutch itself. My job is to take a fresh look at the problem and to come up with a solution.

For this I need information from people with sailing experience and would like to ask you to help me. It will take around 5 minutes.

Your opinion is very much appreciated!

Also you could win a day trip for 2 persons with the GP42-Composail match sailing yacht.

Link to the survey --> https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1s0p5NAskU09vVQIxaMfCMqreRMcjc-ZNdzRbeQwOdhA/viewform

Thank you very much!

Yeah I saw the constrictor version come along. It seems like a really smart idea.

However I wonder if the Aramid fibre isn't going to be a problem. Aramid fibre is known for it's water absorption. Wouldn't this be a problem when you sail in freezing waters? I guess this would make this clutch worthless in these conditions.

The other thing is the clampage. You need to transfer the power into the core of the rope, because that's the place which takes all the load. I wonder if this clutch will be able to transfer enough power into that. This could be a problem for the cover.

That constrictor thing isn't new or at least the concept isn't but they have made it tidy. We make some 'stop and holders', as they call them, for one of those underground drilling mobs so when they get something they need to hold they slide one down the item to be held and it does pretty much just what that constrictor does. They work well but being a fibre do struggle with longevity.

We've been using a Vectran rather than the Kevlar they use.

Nice simple idea although I would not be comfortable loading an aramid sleeve that spends that much time in the sun. From the first day it's on the boat it will be rotting.

I've found the Spinlock XAS jammers to be great on halyards etc, but for line holding where it really matters ie running backstays, I would only use Lewmar clutches. The Spinlock cams are too aggressive on the rope cover for such a critical application.

Some Prick Down at Sailors Corner has one set up to play with.

Bloody light, Bloody Strong and to any Sailor Bloody expensive.

Just go Down their and ask for the "Prick" he'll let you play with it. ( the Constrictor)

Archived