Rudder building

vic008

How many layers of cloth?

What grade of cloth?

What grade of plywood? (its being fiberglassed)

Should I be doing vacume bag?

31ft Atkinson, full keel,transom hung rudder(very same as H28 would say) Old one terribly warped , and previous owner cut it in half. 3260 long, 565 wide (trailing edge parallel to leading) 4 bronze gudgeons Sorry, cant get photo to upload.

many thanks

fng is the person to Ask. I would say go for Timber in strips glues together, then glassed. But I am not as clued up as fng, so listen to him. If he doesn't reply, then send him a PM. You won't get a better expert, oh except for nzrat. He is a well trained designer from the stables of some fine pedigree.

Guest Saturday Night Special

Fng has some excellent rudder shapes and basic engineering PM him he will have some great advice and basic laminates for you .Whats the boat ? aprt from an Atkinson ,Pics ?

Email me the photo boatbldr@ihug.co.nz

Typically these rudders were solid timber and of a decent quillity. then typically an aray off fastenings as well.

Ply whislt typically mahogany, will only give you 50% of it's strength in the direction needed. So a lot more glass would be needed.

timber to use ? it must be at least 500kg/m3 density, then it must also have a good cross grian strength. Your modern imported Kauri's wont cut it. You need to be thinking Ash, Oak, mahogany, Iroko, ..... these timbers will be stong enough to be self supporting. They will still need to be glassed. But two or three boat cloths will be fine (600-900grms total)

You may get away with using yellow cedar, or oregon, but will need to use double bias glass and around twice the weight (1200-1800grms

Archived