The other A2B

Farrari

Since the other thread got totally trashed I thought I would start another.

I haven't comprehended the luke warm response this event has received to date.

Is safety a valid concern? From what I have gleaned to date, the A2B pretty much has the same safety requirements as the SSANZ RNZ. A2B is fully crewed so ought to present less risk you would think?

Is this a case of tall poppy syndrome? If one of the local clubs (using a volunteer base) organised this would it have received the same reaction? IMHO The $400K could be a well worthwhile investment if it results in a better stronger export oriented industry in NZ. Sometimes you have to spend money to make money.

I am a bit curious about the fallback plan of going down the east coast of the South Island. Is this valid?

As an interested spectator I say bring it on!

IMHO - No. The biggest issue I see is the "top down" nature of the organisation. Here's a race, do it and be grateful.

I can't help but wonder if they will get a decent turnout. Hope they do, but there are reasons why they mightn't.

Bring it on indeed! At RAYC we are working hard to create a great race experience. All entrees are going to have a fantastic experience racing the length of our great country. Just ask the rnz two handed race crews how much of an amazing adventure they had, then imagine doing that with a full crew of your mates.

What's happened to nz's great adventuring spirit? All the energy spent commenting on this race could have got a few of the commentators to the start line if they had spent that energy on preparing to race. I'm reliably informed southern hospitality is legendary and Southland is going to turn it on for everyone.

And for those who love ocean racing why not join the Fiji race in 2014 as well. If you have done the a2b no doubt your boat and crew will be well prepared to race north too.

I must say I was somewhat surprised and a little disappointed when I heard this race was going ahead, for the following reasons.

As far as I am aware after talking to all the usual suspects that I know who are active in the ocean racing scene, there has been no consultation, there is no appetite, and there are no real entries.

Firstly, there is allegedly significant funds being offered by the local council for a successful race being launched. Understand and respect that prerogative, but doubt it will fly.

Secondly, the Government has also offered even more funding if an "international" race is created, albeit with some minimum entry number conditions. YNZ were instrumental in brokering this deal. 

Questions

Is this a race anyone actually wants?             .?

Where was the consultation with the active racing fraternity.       None

What will YNZ get if the race goes ahead?         $$

Are NZ sailors happy that in their name hundreds of thousands of tax payers dollars are put towards a "rich pricks" sport?           This is how most of NZ will see it!

If in fact there is funding available from Govt. for sailing, isn't there a better way of spending it that would give greater exposure, more numbers benefiting, and a destination which has a hope of attracting more than 6 boats?          ? I think so.

Is there any truth in the rumor that much funding will go towards a marina to home the contestants, which will be a long term gain for an individual and/or the area?         Rumor?

Who actually benefits if this race goes ahead?

Personally I am disappointed that our National body would promote and support a race which clashes with the RNI, and must inevitably effect the BOI regatta and even the Auckland Regattas numbers if it were to work. equally I dislike seeing YNZ backing likely failures, it's not good for the image of sailing.

If they can interest a real international fleet of racing quality, we would have to consider entering, but I very much doubt it.

My 2-cents worth

Farrari - yes if it does go ahead i would be an interested spectator if not competing.

mwoodley - having been involved with many regatta's both as a sailor and organising I can appreciate the amount of work involved with just getting to the start line, then getting the competitors across the finish.

Bull – at the risk of sounding negative I agree.

While some yacht clubs are on the up most are struggling these days.

Fleets are not anywhere they used to be hence the sponsors are not out there.

Next year has the A2B, the RNI, and the Fiji race, all competing for the same boats.

Let alone the Ak Regatta, BOI Regatta and the New Plymouth solo. Although I would say the Ak regatta is gone because of the lack of support between clubs and participants.

While a boat may be ready and prepared to do one of these I doubt many are able to do more than one. It’s not just the owner but the crew, not many can go sailing for several months of the year.

As the fleets are getting smaller we also have less and less crew with actual experience in these types of race’s.

So we have a good race south, but which race that year should one enter.

Having fleets of less than 10 does not help anyone, the clubs, the sponsors nor does it make others want to enter.

The glamour boats are nice, shiney and we all enjoy seeing them, but we need to build on the smaller fleets and get them out there.

I've gotta say I am still surprised by the reaction to date.

The perceived lack of consultatation is a bit of a worry as is the potential conflict with the RNI if this is the case.

I am not sure why there is criticism being leveled at the Invercargill City Council wanting to spend money to attract visitors. I would have thought making a long term investment into facilities to attract visitors with higher than normal discretionary spend and on an event that will promote Southland to international visistors would be a positive thing for the area. More visitors, more jobs, better prosperity all round.

As for the government putting up funding with conditions around international entries, again I think this is just common business sense. Investing money in promoting NZ and its export generating world class marine expertise is a good thing. It's one of our many differentiators and we ought to capitalise on it. I can understand pooring money into "a rich pricks" sport for a domestic only competition being a cause for concern. Let alone pooring money into a sport for rich pricks kids. NZ needs to be an export driven economy otherwise we are just moving the deck chairs around. There is no point in continuing to spend each others money because in the long run we are all only going to get poorer using this approach.

I applaud YNZ for getting involved and trying to promoted such an event, even if they god forbid manage to turn a small profit. YNZ making a small profit out of these sorts of events means that there is less pressure on the yach club membership levies and that benefits us all.

It is unfortunate but I think the A2B is going to either going succeed or fail based on the opinions of a select few. I really hope that those that have a leadership role put their support behind such an event so as we can all enjoy in the success.

It is unfortunate but I think the A2B is going to either going succeed or fail based on the opinions of a select few.

What drivel, with respect.

The A2B will succeed or fail based on whether it is attractive to the sailing fraternity or not as the case may be, not the opinion of a few here.

Regards Southland I said that I “understand and respect the prerogative” but neither of those will make it happen. It will take some yachtspeople wanting to go racing to do that.

Regarding YNZ and the Govt, please read what I wrote again, I think it is clear but again anyway….

I have no problem with YNZ promoting sailing, in fact I would this would be one of their reasons for being. But Shirley, they have a responsibility to promote things that the sailing community want to see happen or participate in. The Govt didn’t end up involved here by themselves, it took YNZ to take them here, and my point is that, we( the sailing fraternity) will only have so many opportunities like this, and if this falls on its face we will look like clowns and have significantly less chance of floating anything like this in the future.

I personally have nothing against Bluff, some of my favourite oysters come from there, but as an Aucklander faced with the choice of where do I spend the $10-15k+ return, to race 1000nm from where I live, it is a no brainer.

If they can attract 8-10 or maybe even 4-5 international race boats and create an event, then maybe it some locals would become interested, but without that I suggest that the RNI, BOI Regatta, Fiji Races, family commitments, summer in the north…… will be more attractive and prevail.

I suggest YNZ do have a responsibility to communicate with their constituency, and even if not agree and comply at least ask, listen and hear. This does not happen outside of their “Olympic high performance focus” as far as I can see.

Frankly the arrogance of all and sundry to not even converse with the currently active participants, doesn’t bode well for this part of the sport, and the rapidly declining numbers bare this out!!

I can only agree with :clap: bull, that, if a bunch of politians want to organise a competition without talking to the competitors - the event is doomed. In todays econonic times wasting money on egos is not the way forward. Better to boooost the fiji race, than talk a bunch of aussies into sailing to auckland - after a spanking in the hobart then aucklnd delivery - race south to bluff, then back home to aussie - knot going to happen in disney land let alone 100% pure adventure land. :crazy:

Archived