Tacktick instruments

Pumbaa

Hi

I'm looking at putting the raymarine T111 speed and depth on the new boat and I was wondering if anyone has any useful feedback. Particularly with the solar powered function-ability/longevity etc. It makes sense that the transducers aren't wireless but I'm a little concerned that the depth would use too much power and I've missed something elemental. Never havin' had such fancyness befur.

I want to ditch the 12v battery and I don't want to open the box and see two little red and black cables staring up at me.

Also how about keeping it under the boat cover, I ruined a decent welding helmet by keeping it in the bag and the cell/battery died.

Cheers

What size is the new boat ?

Tacticks have red & black wires from battery to their sensor interface box (speed, depth) but are wireless from there to the cockpit displays.

The cockpit displays IIRC can be wired to power as well, if desired.

(check their (now Raymarine) web pages/manuals)

We found that we had to leave the display solar cells lying on the charttable so the sun could top the batteries up when the boat was not being used, so that we had "full" batteries in the displays when we wanted to sail/race. No biggie, just one more thing to stow/leave properly. OK on a marina but may not always work on a swing mooring.

If a lead acid battery is too big, too heavy, unable to be charged, then get a small 12V Dc battery as used in alarm systems. Easy to recharge at home or in car.

Hi and thanks, I thought it would be too much power to expect from a small solar cell to power an echosounder. That is if I understood you correctly that the speed and depth are wired from a 12v battery to the wireless sender then to the head unit. The boats a Shaw 750 from cedar and ply, nowhere near the light weight of carbon so I'm trying to save weight where I can. My friends would tell me to stop eating for a month or 2. I could go without instruments but I'm so used to having the basics that I would probably over compensate when I approach a shoreline. A small battery will probably be the answer.

Archived